How to stop the floury sediment

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
nigebeer

How to stop the floury sediment

Post by nigebeer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:54 am

I have done a few BIAB's now and all successful with quite a bit of time saving.
One problem, which from the forums suggest it is a common one is that a lot of floury sediment from the mash gets carried over into the fermenting vessel and I end up with about 20mm in the bottom.
I have tried jugging about 30ltrs of the first runnings but this doesnt seem to work, whereas it did when brewing with the old 3 vessel system.
I was thinking about buying one of those small 12v solar pumps and let it re-circulate until the filter in the bottom of the boiler starts to run clear, has anybody done this before?

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: How to stop the floury sediment

Post by alexlark » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:48 pm

To cut down on the sediment I use a very fine bag, irish moss in the boil, after the wort is cooled I leave it sit with the lid on for 30 mins and then siphon from the top. I always end up with an inch of cr@p at the bottom of the fermenter but it doesn't effect anything.

There is a thread on here somewhere whereby a guy split the wort and intentionally carried a load of cr@p over to the fermenter, a side-by-side taste test proved it didn't matter.

AnthonyUK

Re: How to stop the floury sediment

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:51 pm

After I raise the bag I 'vorlauf' for 5-10 mins back through the bag and grain using a jug.
I had a problem with this that caused the element in my Buffalo to go and since starting this the element is almost clear post boil and hasn't cut out once either.