First Maxi-BIAB in a 19L pot - London Pride clone

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
E J Gumby
Steady Drinker

Re: First Maxi-BIAB in a 19L pot - London Pride clone

Post by E J Gumby » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:43 am

WA,

There was a hell of a lot of gunge in the bottom of the FV, probably because I tipped everything into the it from the pot.
Next time I might try Alex's trick of putting voile in the sieve,to see if this cuts it down.

With regards to syphoning - I don't. I use the Coopers FV with the krausen collar and a tap at the bottom. I bottle directly from this, mainly into 2L PETs, via some tubing connected to the tap and the valve bit from a bottling stick on the other end. I normally get 22 - 23L in the bottle when I've done a kit.

Will have to see how it goes next time.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi E.J.
I'm a bit late to this, but Well Done on your first AG =D> ... and thank you for the "mention" at the top of the thread. I'm really pleased that there're still people out there getting benefit from that post (that I made nearly 3 and a half years ago now :shock: ) :wink:

Alex and/or Meatymc, do either of you have a "worked example" of a recipe in BIABacus that I could get a copy of, at all? Ideally it would be a recipe for London Pride (based on that Wheeler recipe) to be maxi-BIAB brewed in a 31cm diameter, 25.5cm deep, 19 ltr pot ... but I realise that might be asking a bit much :oops: ... You see I wouldn't mind updating that thread to use the newer BIABacus tool, it's just that I've struggled and I just cant get my head around it. I think , if I had a version to brew the same recipe in the same size pot, as I used with the previous spreadsheet, then I might be able to work out (by comparison) what it's telling me to do :?
Thanks, in advance

Cheers, PhilB

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi Phil, the only spreadsheet I have is the original one from your thread. I just couldn't get my head around the BIABacus and ended up buying Beersmith.

Really got my process nailed down now and so glad I went AG. Wouldn't have got there without your thread though. Cheers!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:56 pm

PhilB wrote:Hi E.J.
I'm a bit late to this, but Well Done on your first AG =D> ... and thank you for the "mention" at the top of the thread. I'm really pleased that there're still people out there getting benefit from that post (that I made nearly 3 and a half years ago now :shock: ) :wink:

Alex and/or Meatymc, do either of you have a "worked example" of a recipe in BIABacus that I could get a copy of, at all? Ideally it would be a recipe for London Pride (based on that Wheeler recipe) to be maxi-BIAB brewed in a 31cm diameter, 25.5cm deep, 19 ltr pot ... but I realise that might be asking a bit much :oops: ... You see I wouldn't mind updating that thread to use the newer BIABacus tool, it's just that I've struggled and I just cant get my head around it. I think , if I had a version to brew the same recipe in the same size pot, as I used with the previous spreadsheet, then I might be able to work out (by comparison) what it's telling me to do :?
Thanks, in advance

Cheers, PhilB
I can send you a filled out one if you PM me your email and can walk you through it if you like, it is really simple when it clicks and a great bit of software.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 pm

alexlark wrote:Hi Phil,

Really got my process nailed down now and so glad I went AG. Wouldn't have got there without your thread though. Cheers!
Awwwwwwh! There`s Lovely Mun! :D
Group Hug for PhilB and Alexlark from all of us! =D> =D>

Still looking at Tesco Direct 25% off kit sale, plus 10% Staff discount, cheap as chips and with a little `Tweak`, what`s not to like! :D

My BIAB `Old Speckled Hen` is looking great!

WA

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi WA
WalesAles wrote:Awwwwwwh! There`s Lovely Mun! :D
Group Hug for PhilB and Alexlark from all of us! =D> =D>
... it's ALL we do while we're here ... we learn from people who know more/better, and pass it on to people who know less :?

Were just "spreading the love" ... ... ... ... Mun :wink: :) :D
Cheers, PhilB

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:35 pm

WA if you're after cheap kits I read on another forum that the Kilner 2 can kits are £6.50 in some Asda stores. Don't know what they're like though. I'm sure if they're crap you can chuck 1kg of hops in and jazz it up a bit

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:02 pm

alexlark wrote:WA if you're after cheap kits I read on another forum that the Kilner 2 can kits are £6.50 in some Asda stores. Don't know what they're like though. I'm sure if they're crap you can chuck 1kg of hops in and jazz it up a bit Image
alex,
If they were Great I would probably chuck in 1Kg of Hops and 1Kg Spraymalt, just in case! :D #-o

WA

E J Gumby
Steady Drinker

Post by E J Gumby » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:18 pm

So, here it is. Not quite the first pint of my London Pride clone.
SV102014.JPG
SV102013.JPG
It's not crystal clear, but it's good enough for me.
I had a couple of pints last weekend but it was under-carbonated but this weekend it was just right.
Last week's pints reminded me of the first pints of cask ale I ever drank about 30 years ago - Marston's Pedigree.
This week, with better carbonation, it does remind me of bottled Pride, although not as hoppy.
Well pleased with the result.
I think I'll repeat this and increase the hops a bit

EJ

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Looking good! Colour is spot on. Same result as mine too, not as hoppy as the bottled version. I sampled them side by side. It's a good recipe to cut your teeth though.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:38 am

EJ,
Good looking Beer! :D =D>
Back to back blind `Taste Test` next.

WA

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Fri May 20, 2016 10:44 am

[quote="alexlark"]Don't worry that everything went in the FV. It will settle out and all drop to the bottom. I use a large sieve from Ikea and started by pouring evrything through that. I now do the same but place an offcut of voile in the sieve too, filters out even the pellet debris.[/quote]

Apologies as a bit off topic but could you (or anyone) provide a link to the sieve you're using? I've been looking for a decent sized one which I can place over my FV.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri May 20, 2016 12:48 pm

This is the one, it has extendable handles: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50103755/

E J Gumby
Steady Drinker

Post by E J Gumby » Mon May 23, 2016 11:33 pm

I went out to dinner this weekend and had a pint of Draught Pride (and very nice it was too).
I have to say that I couldn't detect a great deal of difference between that and this clone.
Not bad for a first AG!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 24, 2016 7:45 am

E J Gumby wrote:WA,

There was a hell of a lot of gunge in the bottom of the FV, probably because I tipped everything into the it from the pot.
I didn't see any mention of kettle finings (Irish moss or better Protafloc), did you use any? If you didn't then using these will, with patience, leave a lot of trub behind. With the addition of fast cooling with say an immersion chiller you should be able to get crystal clear wort into your fermentor.

With regards to syphoning - I don't. I use the Coopers FV with the krausen collar and a tap at the bottom. I bottle directly from this, mainly into 2L PETs, via some tubing connected to the tap and the valve bit from a bottling stick on the other end. I normally get 22 - 23L in the bottle when I've done a kit.
Look into an autosyphon as an alternative, WA's suggestion of sucking on the tube to get a syphon started has a lot of potential for compromising your brew with unwanted infections. [-X Your method is one I've used myself, I suggest fining to get the trub below the pick up level will also help. Don't worry about "crystal clear" beer going into a bottle not having enough yeast in it, it will have millions of cells to do the job. Take a look at a commercially bottle conditioned beer, it will have the thinnest paint layer. Ever drunk a flat one? :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer