Purchasing a suitable biab bag

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
danb3434

Re: Purchasing a suitable biab bag

Post by danb3434 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi mate,
When I've did BIAB I made the bag myself, you can find a fabric called Swiss voile at most fabric store which is perfect for it, costs less too.
-Dan

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:16 pm

I recently upgraded to a larger kettle - a 100L 3 phase catering kettle.

This means that I need to upgrade my grain bag and potentially invest in a cage arrangement or something that can take the load when hoisted.

Realistically I could be talking about 18 - 20 kg of grain going into this setup so I need some assistance when hoisting now

Any ideas/products that suit?

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:16 am

With regard to cleaning, anything before the boil does not need to be sanitised. Everything after the boil, must be sanitised. The bag (or sheet) is only used pre-boil so does not require any sanitising. I would not dream of putting it into a washing machine. (what about soap residue?) Mine gets pegged onto the washing line and is hosed down. I have completed about 40 brews with the same sheet of voile and this method.

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:19 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:I recently upgraded to a larger kettle - a 100L 3 phase catering kettle.

This means that I need to upgrade my grain bag and potentially invest in a cage arrangement or something that can take the load when hoisted.

Realistically I could be talking about 18 - 20 kg of grain going into this setup so I need some assistance when hoisting now

Any ideas/products that suit?
I also biab 100 litre batches and have on occasion had well over 30kg of grain in the mash. My approach is to drain the wort out of the pot onto one or more fermenters. I then 'sparge' by pouring more hot water ( i have the household immersion heater on which gives me a tank of 65-70c water) over the mash. Once the liquid is drained off i can scoop the grain out straight into the garden waste wheely bin - means i never have to lift it. Then pour the wort back into the pot and get on with the boil.

I know it is not strictly biab, but it allows me to brew the quantity i want, without the cost and hassle of a 3v system. As you might expect this approach gives quite a lot of trub, but cold crash and gelatin gives me great tasting crystal clear beer.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Robby I have drained off before with my smaller kit, after a screw up, and I did think of a no lift setup like you mention.

I have an idea for a scaffold to get a hoist over the kettle. But I am still concerned over the limits of my bag.

I am probably over worrying; but the time to fix these things is before you mash in a big beer.

I just thought of a bag in bag solution. Where you have one mash bag inside another, but each has half the grain bill. I.e. You hoist out one, and then the next. Even for the big beers each bag has a manageable weight

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:41 am

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Robby I have drained off before with my smaller kit, after a screw up, and I did think of a no lift setup like you mention.

I have an idea for a scaffold to get a hoist over the kettle. But I am still concerned over the limits of my bag.

I am probably over worrying; but the time to fix these things is before you mash in a big beer.

I just thought of a bag in bag solution. Where you have one mash bag inside another, but each has half the grain bill. I.e. You hoist out one, and then the next. Even for the big beers each bag has a manageable weight
The other option, if you know somebody handy with a sowing machine is to make your own. You could make it double thickness and put extra hoops of webbing around it - making it super strong. The materials are easily sourced online, would cost around £10 for what i describe above

I did think about this myself, but if the whole biab ethos is to keep it cheap, simple and portable/ easy to pack away......... it might start to get to the point where 3v is a better option.

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:41 am

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Robby I have drained off before with my smaller kit, after a screw up, and I did think of a no lift setup like you mention.

The other option, if you know somebody handy with a sowing machine is to make your own. You could make it double thickness and put extra hoops of webbing around it - making it super strong. The materials are easily sourced online, would cost around £10 for what i describe above

I did think about this myself, but if the whole biab ethos is to keep it cheap, simple and portable/ easy to pack away......... it might start to get to the point where 3v is a better option.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:11 pm

I subscribe to the homebrewing ethos ... the shiny stuff is secondary

I have some mr lard voile bags, which I have not put through their paces. They rate them to 10 kg of grain, and I have a recipe that calls for 15kg.

In the absence of a DIY bag or a custom fit, I do have a couple of options, including double or triple bagging, and draining off like a conventional mash tun.

Better take pics of the next brew session.

Buster
Piss Artist

Post by Buster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am

Chris Rogers at brewinabag.uk Best quality bag I ever bought, he does several sizes for all pots and the one I got was specifically for a 40 litre Buffalo Boiler. Well worth the money.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Buster wrote:Chris Rogers at brewinabag.uk Best quality bag I ever bought, he does several sizes for all pots and the one I got was specifically for a 40 litre Buffalo Boiler. Well worth the money.
I had the same one with my BIAB setup and it was built like a tank and worth every penny.

Cqr

Post by Cqr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Who in your opinion makes the best SHAPED biab bag 72 litre
The best seem to be all USA based
I'am so googled out, any input would be great

tickle

Post by tickle » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Cqr wrote:Who in your opinion makes the best SHAPED biab bag 72 litre
The best seem to be all USA based
I'am so googled out, any input would be great
this is the one I got for my 50ltr pot it a good shape and size
so should be a good size for your 72ltr pot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brew-in-a-Bag ... SwGotWr0gb

skyblue67
Sober

Post by skyblue67 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:12 am

Got mine from http://brewinabag.co.uk/en/12-biab-bags which I believe is the same supplier as above, but cheaper for some reason. I wouldn't skimp on the bag, especially as you have a 72lt pot. I guess your grain bills are around 8-10kg dry weight so a strong bag is essential.
My recipes and other drivel here http://boringbrownbeer.blogspot.co.uk/

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:29 pm

^ what he said. I BIAB with 12kg grists and hoisting is not fun. You never want the feeling of doubt in a critical piece of kit like your bag