First BIAB - Saison?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
MrN
Steady Drinker

First BIAB - Saison?

Post by MrN » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello, was looking for a bit of advice. I'm planning to do my first BIAB next weekend (only done extract + steeping so far) and was intending to do a brown ale however, as the weather is so warm at the moment, I thought it might be a nice idea to try brewing a saison instead (a style I don't have a huge amount of experience with).

Is there any reason a saison would be a bad idea as a first BIAB or is it quite straightforward? I quite like the idea of using some rye so was thinking either shoving some pale or crystal rye malt in it and then fermenting with the danstar belle saison yeast. I also have some open EKGs and Styrian Goldings I could use up. Sound like a good idea or should I stick to my brown ale? So many types of beer to brew....

serum

Re: First BIAB - Saison?

Post by serum » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Saison is ideal for a first ag brew as it's very simple. All you really need is pilsner malt and noble hops. Styrian and Kent goldings is an ideal combo. If you want to use Rye I'd just use a third pale Rye malt and two thirds pilsner.

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:56 pm

I was thinking something along these lines. Seem reasonable, or should I drop the Munich malt?:

15l Batch
IBUs: ~27
OG: 1.048
Colour: ~8EBC

74% Pilsner Malt
13% Munich Malt
13% Pale Rye Malt

35g EKGs (3.49% AA)
20g Styrians (1.83% AA) - 10mins
20g Styrians (1.83% AA) - 0mins

Danstar Belle Saison Yeast

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:17 am

Personally I'd use Vienna rather than Munich, but that's just individual preference.

serum

Post by serum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:47 pm

If it were me I'd either use rye and pilsner without the Munich or swap the Rye with wheat and keep it.

Two parts pilsner to one part Rye is nice, as is doing one part munich, two parts wheat and three parts pilsner.