mind made up

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
tickle

mind made up

Post by tickle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:40 pm

right my mind made up i'm going down the biab route
but just a few things I like to ask which maybe a stupid things to ask
when I pick a recipe to do
getting the grain hops and yeast
if I can not get the hops how do I find one that will give the same result
as with the grain and yeast
also I would like to land up with a 23lt brew how much water will I need
and will a 50lt brew pot be a good size

gobuchul

Re: mind made up

Post by gobuchul » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:43 pm

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

A good place to start is a recipe kit.

The Malt Miller Punkie Clone is excellent if you like hoppy IPA.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ do loads of different ones.

tickle

Post by tickle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:49 pm

gobuchul wrote:http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

A good place to start is a recipe kit.

The Malt Miller Punkie Clone is excellent if you like hoppy IPA.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ do loads of different ones.

thanks will have a look
but I like a lager

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 pm

If you brewing a real lager, it's quite difficult to do without good temperature control.

Real lager yeast ferments around 10 - 15C. You really need a fermentation fridge to do a good lager.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:06 pm

I use Beersmith on my iPad which is also available on PC and Android.
It (and other software such BIABacus which is free) is really useful for recipe formulation but you will have to do some guesswork at first to dial your equipment in.
Generally, for a regular 1.040-1.050 type batch I start of with 35l to end up with 23l

In Beersmith there is an equipment profile for 40l urns which helps ;)

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 pm

How much water you need to start off with depends on two things, grain absorption rate, and boil off rate. 0.8L per Kg is a good starting point for the grain absorption. Boil off rate is very much dependent on your kit (power, kettle dimensions etc). I guess 4L/hr is probably a good place to start for boil off. A 50L pot will be fine for 23L batch. Measure your preboil and post boil volumes, and you will be able to calculate both of these more accurately for your system. I also assume about 2L of transfer losses.

Using the suggested rates above, if you were doing a recipe that used 5KG of grain, a 60minute boil, and a 23L target, you'd need 23 (your target) +2 (transfer losses) +(5x0.8) (grain absorption loss) +(4x1) (boil off loss)=33L starting water for your BIAB mash.

tickle

Post by tickle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 pm

BrannigansLove wrote:How much water you need to start off with depends on two things, grain absorption rate, and boil off rate. 0.8L per Kg is a good starting point for the grain absorption. Boil off rate is very much dependent on your kit (power, kettle dimensions etc). I guess 4L/hr is probably a good place to start for boil off. A 50L pot will be fine for 23L batch. Measure your preboil and post boil volumes, and you will be able to calculate both of these more accurately for your system. I also assume about 2L of transfer losses.

Using the suggested rates above, if you were doing a recipe that used 5KG of grain, a 60minute boil, and a 23L target, you'd need 23 (your target) +2 (transfer losses) +(5x0.8) (grain absorption loss) +(4x1) (boil off loss)=33L starting water for your BIAB mash.
many thanks for this info
now I know what size pot to order

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm

A 50L pot is a good size. 40L will manage 23L batch sizes for BIAB but it will be a tight fit for higher gravity beers. Doable, but get the extra space and you never have to worry about it.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Get some brewing software. I use Beersmith for BIAB. I Googled how to set it up to my equipment. After 3 brews I had my kit dialled in and could make brews with the correct final volume.

tickle

Post by tickle » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:20 pm

well this is then biab system I have ordered should be here Monday if not the next day
Included in this kit:-

32 Litre Stainless steel pan

60cm stainless steel spoon

nylon mashing bag

Brewferm Digital probe

Brupaks Copper wort chiller with screw fitting to common garden tap

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:55 pm

You'll be a bit tight on space with 32l but you can do what is known as maxi-biab. Mash as normal with as much liquid as you can then top up with a sparge. You might have to top up later too but definitely doable.

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm with AnthonyUK on this. I use a 50l aluminium pot and start out with 33lts, by the time I transfer to the FV I'm down to around 23lts and end up with 21lts into the bottles. Mind I get a pretty wicked boil on and don't have a lot of control.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:50 pm

gobuchul wrote:If you brewing a real lager, it's quite difficult to do without good temperature control.

Real lager yeast ferments around 10 - 15C. You really need a fermentation fridge to do a good lager.
If you can ferment under 19 you can make a pretty good pseudo lager with the right ale yeast: Wyeast 1007, Wyeast 1764, Wyeast 2112.
Last year I brewed an all extract pilsner with the 1764 at 18-19. I entered it into a competition and scored in the mid 30s with no mention of it being ale like.
I'm just here for the beer.

tickle

Post by tickle » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:29 pm

well delivery just came
what a lot of crap
wort cooler bent out of shape
the pot was dented tap as been bent around
so got to send it all back
I will get full refund once they receive it
so got to have a rethink which way to turn

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Bit of a bummer. Always risky with the pots in the post. For what it's worth I got a 33L pot, the ones Powell Brewing and Homebrew Builder sell. Brilliant pots for BIAB.