doing a biab brew

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
tickle

doing a biab brew

Post by tickle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:32 am

this may sound a stupid thing to ask but I ask it anyways
just been looking at the beer recipes topics some sound good
so was wondering can all or must recipes can be used in the biab way

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: doing a biab brew

Post by Kev888 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:54 am

Any grain recipe can be done via BIAB, there may perhaps be some wierd exceptions but so far I've not heard of any. You'd need to adjust quantities based on efficiency but thats true of all systems.

Though, there may be slight challenges achieving 'extremely' high gravity brews because many people (though not all) get slightly lower efficiency with standard BIAB than some other methods. And in a similar fashion, reduced-volume versions of BIAB (e.g. because of a small pot) can struggle with high gravity recipes; if the mash gets thick efficiency can start to reduce quite a lot.
Kev

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:33 pm

I have a few recipes available in Beersmith that I have converted for a 40l urn BIAB.
The actual recipe part didn't need any adjustment but I tend to round quantities up/down for my volume. Who wants to be faffing around with 23.6g of hops?

e.g. http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... dlord-biab

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:23 pm

tickle wrote:this may sound a stupid thing to ask but I ask it anyways
just been looking at the beer recipes topics some sound good
so was wondering can all or must recipes can be used in the biab way
Pretty Much, Go 4 it ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:58 am

Your main issue is with the size of your pot or mash tun. smaller ones will mean you may need to scale down your recipe so that you can get the grain in and some water. you can also try the "maxi" biab method which does work well. I managed several brews in a 15l pot before buying a 50l pot from the Malt Miller.
One other thing to consider is the bag. I personally use a sheet of net curtain rather than a bag, it is easy to clean and has seen me through about 40 brews now.
As for lager, it is a style. you could achieve similar results by using lager malt and lager hops, October is possibly a good month to ferment in the garage or shed. You will need to be patient and let it sit a while to get any lagering effect, this is doable in the colder months.
Best of luck.