Strange gravity readings when BIAB

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Strange gravity readings when BIAB

Post by chefgage » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Right tried again. Did not do the exact same recipe again as i had some different hops to use up. I used asda bottled water this time which according to the bottle has a ph of 6.4 as opposed to my tap water of 7.2.

I also dropped the efficiency of my eqipment profile in beer smith. I created a new recipe and off i went.

This time i overshot the OG by a fair bit. It was then I noticed my boil off rate was set at the value i use for one of my smaller biab pots. The boil off rate of my bigger pot was twice that value so that obviously effected the OG reading.

Next time I am going to set the boil off rate to the correct value for the bigger pot and leave the efficiency in the equipment profile as its default value of 72%. I will then still use the bottled water and see how I go from there.

At least i feel i am getting somewhere now and all this brewing is good for two reasons, i am learning alot more than when i just brewed a couple of times a year and also i now have lots of beer to drink.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 pm

The pH of the water is irrelevant due to the buffering effect of the salts it contains. That's why we talk about the alkalinity.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:59 pm

^ Right, so am i right in thinking then for my tap water i should be looking at the alkinility and the relevance of the ph is for the mash