BIAB & Beersmith

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Orval62
Tippler

BIAB & Beersmith

Post by Orval62 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:56 pm

Having now completed 6 BIAB as well as a number of kit brews, I now want to devote more time and effort to all grain BIAB brews next year. I have just ordered ingredients for a couple of brews from the Greg Hughes book, but after I have completed these I want to experiment a bit more. To this end has anyone used the Beersmith app or any similar method for recipes with any success?
I must admit that l am happy how my BIAB brews have turned out, but there is room for improvement. My main issues are around water volumes, how much to start with to achieve 23 litres of wort.
Any help is appreciated..

Tony

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: BIAB & Beersmith

Post by alexlark » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:08 pm

My advice would be to set up Beer Smith by following an online guide, best as you can for your equipment. Based on making 23l of beer. When you brew write all the measurents down at each stage so that if you end up with more or less beer than intended you can fine tune your Beer Smith profile. Took me about 3 brews before I had my profile nailed and allowed me to produce predictable final volumes.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:59 am

I use it and it is pretty straightforward once setup and includes a 40l urn BIAB equipment profile which I used as a base to match my own but it was pretty close to start.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 am

I use the BIABacus from biabrewer.info. It's a spreadsheet that works on Excel and Open/LibreOffice. Although it looks daunting at first it is actually very easy to use and works very well. And it's free.

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Another +1 for BIABacus here.
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

drtablet
Sober

Post by drtablet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 am

I use BIABacus from biabrewer.info