dry hopping

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
tickle

dry hopping

Post by tickle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 am

when I dry hop my biab brew do I just float them on top or stir them in

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: dry hopping

Post by alexlark » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:06 am

Pellets you can just tip them in and let them do their stuff.

What I do if I'm using a lot of cones is come back 24hrs later and gently push them below the surface to wet them. Works for me.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Pellets I just chuck them in. Cones I bag and weigh down with a marble.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Always bag whether cones/pellets/et al. Experimenting with shop weights to get the bag to stay below the surface - still floating with a 2 oz weight so 2.5 oz next time

Cam
Steady Drinker

Post by Cam » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Meatymc wrote:Always bag whether cones/pellets/et al. Experimenting with shop weights to get the bag to stay below the surface - still floating with a 2 oz weight so 2.5 oz next time
I just use some sterilised fishing line or some nylon string and try it around the handle on my fermetor, the cap still goes on securely. Then you can put plenty weight in and it never touches the bottom.

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Never used it myself but some people suspend hop bags with dental floss. Strong and sterile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 am

Wezzel wrote:Never used it myself but some people suspend hop bags with dental floss. Strong and sterile.

I used to do this before I got my Chronical. The hop bag keeps the pellets or cones together and makes harvesting the trub for reuse much cleaner.

I use the same technique for keg-hopping. Bag up, weight, dental floss, and tied around one of the corny posts. Gives a hop blast that is difficult to reproduce with dry hopping in the fermenter alone.

Once the beer is as hoppy as you want you can just push it into a clean keg. I often just leave the bag in - never had any issues with grassy flavours developing - and if you suspend the bag halfway down the keg it automatically stops "hopping" once you've drunk past the bag.
Ian

Brewdoug
Sober

Post by Brewdoug » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:05 pm

[quote="Wezzel"]Never used it myself but some people suspend hop bags with dental floss. Strong and sterile.

Gives an interesting minty flavour too lol

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Brewdoug wrote:
Wezzel wrote:Never used it myself but some people suspend hop bags with dental floss. Strong and sterile.

Gives an interesting minty flavour too lol
Yes, probably best not to use the mint flavoured one Image

rocket ronnie

Post by rocket ronnie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 pm

I put my dry hops in a muslin bag and tie the end around a clean half pint glass tankard and let it sink to the bottom of f/v, glass bag and all.

drtablet
Sober

Post by drtablet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:43 am

I put pellets in a large bag. (with hook on inside of lid, or even with dental floss over the edge to get the bag out later). Put them in 3-4 days after pitching yeast and leave for 3-7days. So the hop aroma goes into the beer at the same time as conditioning at 19C. Then squeeze bags to get the good stuff out (with sterile gloves of course and gently so not to add too much air/o2), before cold crashing.