Sealing a BV

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Grumbler

Sealing a BV

Post by Grumbler » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:17 pm

I've got a 1/2" stainless ball valve and want to make my own BV for extrct and all grain brews. What fitting have you used to attach the valve to the pot? I imagine a copper dowty would be correct.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Sealing a BV

Post by Jocky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Not 100% sure what a BV is, but in any case the best sealing solution I use for my taps are:

- 35mm parallel nipple (can be shorter but this gives you room to screw a filter or other things on the inside of the pot)
- Stainless steel recessed nut with silicon o-ring (http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/taps- ... x-nut.html, http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/taps- ... o-ring.htm)
- 1/2" BSP stainless steel washer

Nipple goes into tap, washer goes over nipple and then sits between tap and outer pot, hex nut goes on inside with o-ring sealing between it and the pot.

Don't forget to use some tape on the nipple on the tap end.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 pm

I think BV is just Ball Valve. A non-standard, and hence confusing, abbreviation though!

How you fit the ball valve to the pot depends on what fitting the ball valve has. Mine is parallel BSP so I use a parallel nipple and washer like Jocky but inside the pot I have a socket to attach my bazooka filter. There's no need for an o-ring here but it does no harm. You don't need to put any tape on the nipple unless the other fitting is taper.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 pm

I've also got a parallel nipple through the wall of the boiler/HLT with a nut and dowty on the outside and a plain washer and nut on the inside. One thing I did find with the stainless parallel nipples sold through the homebrewshop is that they're a perfect friction fit for some 15mm copper through the middle of them and the thread is a standard 15mm compression size so on my mash tun I did the same stainless parallel nipple through the wall of the mash tun then put a length of 15mm copper through the middle of that (with olives and compression fittings each end of the stainless), then was able to go straight into the copper manifold. IE no brass bulkhead fitting required....

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:39 am

i would suggest an m20 ss washer and hex nipple when used with a healthy ptfe wrap provide a simple connection option for connecting thru a 20mm/(1/2" bsp sized hole)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Grumbler

Post by Grumbler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:13 pm

By BV I meant boiling vessel. Thanks for the replies.