Can I split my brew?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Grumbler

Can I split my brew?

Post by Grumbler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi, I've made another one gallon brew but it's gone a bit wrong. I used 500g of light DME with 600g of grains that had been steeped at 65 degrees for an hour. I then boiled for an hour with EKG and finished with centennial. I cooled it down then pitched Belgian Ale Yeast which had been rehydrated. On checking the gravity it was 1.116! Would it be wiser to leave it alone? Or could I split it and make it up into two batches? I had intended putting mango and raspberry in it after a week in the fermenter. Serves me right for not using beersmith I suppose!

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Can I split my brew?

Post by Sadfield » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:49 pm

I'd plug the recipe into Beersmith now and work out what you have regarding estimated ABV and IBUs etc and then work out a plan of action to get the best beer possible, as diluting will lower your gravity, and bitterness, but adding fruit will add more sugar and up the ABV. How much space have you in the FV? Could you make a weak wort with DME and boil some hops for 15-30 minutes and add to FV? This would add bitterness and flavour whilst lowering the overall gravity.

Grumbler

Re: Can I split my brew?

Post by Grumbler » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Sadfield. I chose to split the brew and add more yeast. It seems to have worked as its fermenting strongly. Both halves were made up to 5 litres with bottled water. I'm going to add mango puree to one and raspberry to the other.