Best bitter

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Best bitter

Post by Rookie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:51 pm

Eric wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:54 pm
Thank you for that information. Could you tell us for how long you mashed?
35 minutes.
I'm just here for the beer.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Best bitter

Post by PeeBee » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:33 pm

Rookie wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:08 pm
I ended up with a F G of 1.019. I really liked the taste even with the higher ending. Now I know what I'm dealing with. Next time I'll mash at a lower temperature and for a longer time. I'll also be using a yeast that normally ferments lower.
All the time I've been using Chevellier Malt I've been assuming it's the barley to "blame" (praise) for the higher FGs. But all this mucking about with "No.19 Maris Otter" malt seems to suggest it's what the Maltsters are doing with it that determines how the mash turns out. Sort of makes sense when it's put in writing. The fairly high FGs I experience with Plumage-Archer malt barley seems to back this up too?

The seventies were getting to near "last orders" for cask beer, so, I guess market forces were behind a swing to more fermentable worts? The Keggyade bunch don't care for "heavy" beers (let alone "flat" heavy beers).

I can't be entirely convinced, but enough to stick with these "Heritage" malts and not go back to "typical" malts (except for some exceptions). Which is going to cost me unfortunately (the "Heritage" barley malts are flippin' expensive). So, it's been the keggyade swiggers fault all along ... yeah, that'll be it ... now where's me pipe and heavy woolly jumpers...

... I''ve got a squeeze-box somewhere too ... what else I got in here from those days? ... Eghh, these magic mushrooms look a bit past it ...
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing