Best bitter

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Best bitter

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:34 pm

5.5 pounds Crisp #19 maris otter milled for tomorrow's brewday.
Attachments
IMG_20231104_093511.jpg
IMG_20231104_093511.jpg (673.16 KiB) Viewed 10395 times
I'm just here for the beer.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Best bitter

Post by PeeBee » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:11 pm

I may await your verdict. I've been toying with getting some No.19, but I'll probably cave-in and get Plumage-Archer instead. The brews I'm currently planning are http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2023 ... pride.html (bit borderline to pass off as "best bitter") and his 1940 Whitbread Extra Stout (his "Stout!" book) (err ... not best bitter at all!).

As both those dates pre-date Maris Otter (1975) I suppose the Plumage-Archer is more in-keeping.

Anyway, it'll have been Plumage-Archer straw bales I used to make me dens out of as a kid! So, a bit of nostalgia?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:13 am

Got no MO or Plumage-Archer either, but desperately low on beer and a quick 19 litres/5 US gallons of London Pride might nicely fit the bill and resurrect July's yeast harvesting. Can't brew tomorrow, earliest would be Wednesday if nothing raises it's ugly head above the parapet and the garage is cleared of accumulated rubbish. Fingers crossed.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:19 pm

Mash smells awesome
Attachments
IMG_20231105_092225.jpg
IMG_20231105_092225.jpg (606.92 KiB) Viewed 10338 times

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:54 pm

I usually get 1.044 in 3 gallons using Briess or Great Western pale ale malt. With this malt I got 1.051 in 3.25 gallons.
Attachments
IMG_20231106_100918.jpg
IMG_20231106_100918.jpg (528.83 KiB) Viewed 10307 times

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:11 pm

Wow. Massive difference. I recon you got 82% extraction efficiency from the Crisp MO.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:38 am

I hope it ferments out...
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:34 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:38 am
That will be interesting to learn. Briess, and potentially all US grown barleys, contain more nitrogen and enzymes, so convert
more quickly than UK grown malting barleys.

Crisp generally advise a 60 minute mash with their products, except when making low gluten or gluten free beers, where they advise a 90 minute mash. I mostly mash for 90 minutes, especially when the mash contains a high proportion of unmalted adjuncts, while I've read that Briess pale malt can self convert in as little as 20 minutes.

There are of course other reasons for lesser attenuating fermentations.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:57 pm

Eric, I was referring to the strange experiences I'd had with No 19 MO from Crisp whereby every brew failed to ferment out.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/vie ... 43#p867443

I do have some left so perhaps it would be worth extending my mash to 90 mins, but I don't think Crisps see this as necessary with any of their malts.
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:37 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:57 pm
Eric, I was referring to the strange experiences I'd had with No 19 MO from Crisp whereby every brew failed to ferment out.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/vie ... 43#p867443

I do have some left so perhaps it would be worth extending my mash to 90 mins, but I don't think Crisps see this as necessary with any of their malts.
Yes, you referenced that occasion twice in Rookie's previous post on receipt of that particular grain.

My post should have been better worded, particularly as my memory has been fading rapidly of late, with age or other things?

As you suggest, Crisp's current advice is for 60 minutes mash other than for gluten-free beers, which I think may also include rice. Frequently using lots of unmalted adjuncts, I do mash for 90 minutes to ensure good extraction efficiency and suitable attenuation. Nonetheless, it is sometimes necessary to halt sparging and recycle a while to stop a sudden fall in gravity of the runnings and reduced efficiency.

Rookie obviously brews for taste rather than strength, so he may not be bothered if the brew doesn't fully attenuate and compare his experience and yours. Here, fermenting with Yorkshire yeasts of British origin, near racking gravity is usually achieved in 2 to 3 days, very occasionally one more, before cooling green beer to clear and rack on day seven, but then I've not used No 19 MO.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:45 am

Eric wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:37 pm
... particularly as my memory has been fading rapidly of late, with age or other things? ...
What you on, Eric? Only yesterday I was being told at Hospital if you think something like that is going to happen, it won't be. If you are totally unaware it's going to happen, it will, and you'll have no idea what is happening. And from such advice you've obviously got ages and ages to go.

Where upon, he booked me in to see another Psychiatrist! :pink:
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:31 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Me too. The reason I treated the Crisp #19 the same as my usual pale ale malt is to see the result and decide if I need to adjust my normal procedure.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Rookie wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:31 pm
Cobnut wrote:
Me too. The reason I treated the Crisp #19 the same as my usual pale ale malt is to see the result and decide if I need to adjust my normal procedure.
I ended up with a F G of 1.019. I really liked the taste even with the higher ending. Now I know what I'm dealing with. Next time I'll mash at a lower temperature and for a longer time. I'll also be using a yeast that normally ferments lower.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:54 pm

Thank you for that information. Could you tell us for how long you mashed?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:04 pm

Also let us know how you get on with a longer mash. I think I still have some of the No. 19 MO sack left in my stocks…maybe I’ll try a lower mash temp for longer with it…

Bottling and kegging a dark mild today. Brewed last Saturday. The Wyeast Whitbread was done within about 2 days, but I left it another couple of days before allowing it to cool down to shed temperature (c. 8C). 18L has gone into a keg with 11L to be bottled for various purposes.

Clarity is lovely a;ready, so I’m using a Blichmann Quick Carb to get it ready for drinking almost immediately. The bottles will condition for a week or so warm before I need the fermenting fridge for my next beer.