Brew Your Own British Real Ale (3rd Edition)- Graham Wheeler

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Ben711200

Brew Your Own British Real Ale (3rd Edition)- Graham Wheeler

Post by Ben711200 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't own this yet, but it is on my Christmas list. In the spirit of getting this section of the forum up and going, can I have thoughts on this one? Is it worth buying if I don't actually tend to brew clones?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-Briti ... am+wheeler

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Brew Your Own British Real Ale (3rd Edition)- Graham Whe

Post by Dennis King » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Great book, I rarely brew clones but when I do it's one of Grahams.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:19 pm

This book is a great addition to anyone's brewing library, the only thing that I wish that it included are recommendations for yeast in the recipes.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Fantastic book the recipes that I've tried have been very close to the original beers, plus Graham has made the all grain brewing process a lot easier to understand for a beginner. For me and probably many others this book was the inspiration to take up all grain brewing.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Francois

Post by Francois » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Bought this book yesterday, brilliant reference; to be honest I wish I'd bought it earlier, as the initial practical aspects section covers a lot of little intricacies (and digestably too) that I had to work out for myself. And you never know; even if you've got plenty of your own recipes whirring in mind (as we all do) you may well just fancy having 23l of Timmy Taylors landlord knocking about the house on occasion :-)

Graham

Post by Graham » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:33 am

Thank you chaps, I am much humbled by your praise.

The thing is that any book is aimed at a specific market, and the criticism that is sometimes levelled at the book (see the Amazon revues), are from people that do not understand the target audience . It is meant to be a gentle introduction to (mostly) all-grain brewing. It is a beginners' book, a not over-complicated set of instructions and recipes that should be a good introduction to what it is all about.

It is not my problem if the experts out there find it too basic, or too focused on real ale. In my view they bought the wrong book for their level of expertise.

It is normal, I think, for any author to be disillusioned and depressed over negative revues, but there is no doubt that positive stuff causes even a 64-year old stroke victim to puff out his chest a little bit.

Again thanks chaps (and chapesses). Much appreciated.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:49 am

I've got all of Graham's recipe books, and I think it is this one that I like the most, (even with the typesetting errors ;) ). It is a perfect book for those brewers wanting to start brewing all grain and I think Graham hit the target audience perfectly.

Personally if you don't have it in your library then you are missing out

Graham

Post by Graham » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 am

Thank you Aleman

Your cheque will be in the post tomorrow :D

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:48 am

Hope you are recovering OK Graham.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:03 am

Got me going straight in to all grain from a standing start just a few months ago.
A very much appreciated book.
The book helped me relate the brewing process to the beers I knew. That gave confidence to learn about other styles perhaps too soon. I really should now have Graham's other book which dealt with wider beer styles.
I'm getting there but it would be good to have the support the British Beer book gave me , widened to other styles.
aka Rhys

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:20 am

I tend have it on stand by every brew day to be honest. Fantastic book and something there for everyone. I think it will still be on the shelves for years to come
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:30 pm

it's definitely staying on the 'financial-peril-and-family-politics-day' list then! thanks to everyone for the feedback and Graham for the additional insight.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm

I don't think the value of this book is merely clone recipes - one soon starts to see patterns what goes together and what doesn't and then at some stage can start getting original ideas for beers.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:13 pm

DeGarre wrote:I don't think the value of this book is merely clone recipes - one soon starts to see patterns what goes together and what doesn't and then at some stage can start getting original ideas for beers.

Very true, although I still brew some of my favourite clones from the book its given me the scope to create my own recipes because from those brews I know what combinations of Malts & Hops I enjoy the most.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 pm

The Ringwood XXXX porter is probably one of my most brewed, although I take liberties with the recipe each time I brew it!