Brew Your Own British Real Ale (3rd Edition)- Graham Wheeler

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I grabbed my copy today for inspiration, so I brewed the Exmoor Gold with a couple of tweaks. Unless I am planning to brew something specific I will often just grab a random recipe from GW and brew something based on that.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Re: Brew Your Own British Real Ale (3rd Edition)- Graham Whe

Post by Redimpz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 pm

It's the only brewing book I own. loads of really good recipes and lots of information.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 am

First AG brew saw the only time I've brewed one handed, down to this book completely. Buy this book first then How To Brew by John Palmer, pretty much all you need, practice and this place tops it off.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 pm

It's a good book. One to have in any library, along with Clone Brews (in my opinion). Even if you never have cause to use the recipes - like myself at the moment - the intro and general brewing section is worth the money alone.

It's also worth noting that by using the grain bills in recipe books such as this one, you have a great introduction to what works with what style, and what adaptations can be made to give a slightly different and uniqueness to brewing style.

Excellent book.

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 pm

I always have it to hand on all my brewdays, it states all the correct temperatures to hit when mashing in and sparging.
It has a very usefell hydrometer temperature adjustment chart at the back.
Its a very easy step by step book for anyone going into all grain. It was this book that got me into brewing all grain from kits.

insto

Post by insto » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:19 am

If it's aimed at the beginner then it hits its mark perfectly. Did my first all grain brew a month or so ago, never having brewed (apart from cider) before, with this book in my left hand while I did everything else with my right. Took me a slow 9 hours to get it all done and using a recipe for something you know (I did Deuchars IPA) lets you know if the resulting brew is anywhere close. I'd definitely recommend it.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 am

I bought the first edition some years ago (then Brew Your Own British Real Ale at Home) along with Brew Classic European Beers at Home and Home Brewing. One of the best introductory guides I read, I used it a lot before I went my own way in terms of recipes.

I will also be getting an updated copy of Home Brewing when it comes out.

Essential part of any brewers library.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:46 pm

I have an older edition and it's the book I used to first learn how to brew. Some of the opinions about equipment and ingredients are a little outdated in my edition but the the theory and the recipes are excellent. This edition is newer so my criticisms will not apply. I think these books are an absolutely excellent starting point and you can use them to get going with brewing and then start expanding your independent knowledge and opinions by reading the forums and other books, john palmers online how to brew book, beersmith software etc etc..

I recently did the Bass clone from my edition. It was really very good. I also find it really helpful to look up beers that I know, read his recipe and understand how the flavours I taste in familar beers are made in his recipes. This in conjunction with the beersmith software really help you get started making your own recipes on a basis that is not purely trial and error.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:49 pm

I made the Hopback Summer Lightning clone and gave one to a mate. I had meant to tell him the recipe, but he instantly said it reminded him of S L. Not bad for a guess, eh?
Now working out some other brews to see how close I can get. 8)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 am

Try Graham's recipe for Marstons Pedigree using WLP 037 yeast. It's the best beer that I have ever brewed possibly the best I have ever tasted!!
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 pm

My copy arrived today, mainly got it for the recipes which the hop shop sell as packs but with no times and what not, but glad to see the other info in there like nabbing yeast and what not. Wished I bought it sooner.

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Mon May 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Does this new eddition have some new recipes in it, Iuse theolder edition, I hope it might have McEwans Export recipe in it?

Will12283
Steady Drinker

Post by Will12283 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Order my book last week still waiting for it to turn up, but I'm like a kid in a sweet shop waiting for it :)
Using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 am

SHIELDS EXILE wrote:Does this new eddition have some new recipes in it, Iuse theolder edition, I hope it might have McEwans Export recipe in it?
There is not but in his book BREW CLASSIC EUROPEAN BEERS AT HOME Graham has a recipe for McEwan's 80/- (shilling)
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Tue May 13, 2014 11:47 am

Amazon says it can not send this book until September, how does everyone know its content already? I will buy it though,his earlier edition is the best HB book Ive got.