Dave Law Homebrew Handbook

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
lord.president
Hollow Legs

Dave Law Homebrew Handbook

Post by lord.president » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 pm

This was the first book I bought on the subject,and whilst I now know that the exact technique described isn't accurate (water volumes), if you know this and put the recipes into Beer Engine,they do produce some cracking brews. The only downfall,is that you need to know this,otherwise you will get frustrated at none of the recipes working out. If a second edition is printed,maybe this will get fixed?
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

huckwell

Re: Dave Law Homebrew Handbook

Post by huckwell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 pm

I have got this book and was wondering if you could expand on the issues with water volumes?

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:21 pm

His technique says 10 litres mash,10 litres sparge,the top up to 23 litres in the boiler,when Beersmith states you need something rather different! Virtually none of the OG and FG work out either.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

octoscott

Post by octoscott » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

If you use this book just for grainbills and hops and use software to get the actual mash volumes and gravities you will end up with some smashing beers.