Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
boff

Re: Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

Post by boff » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:17 pm

This book is currently £3 from Amazon ordered my copy yesterday got it today. I think it's a bit of a bargain.

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 pm

A bargain at that price
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

daf

Post by daf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Still my favourite book, and I have lots now.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 pm

I've done several of the recipes in this book (or based a brew on one) and they are excellent.

barry44

Post by barry44 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

I concur, i tweaked the 60 minute IPA to my preferred abv and ibu and made a belter of a brew.

Planning the EKG Smash, the black IPA and the milk stout in my forthcoming brews.

Cully
Even further under the Table
Location: with the powers of light and dark... I.e. Newcastle

Post by Cully » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:18 pm

I find all the Dorling Kinderly food related books very good indeed. Their preserves one is amazing. I got the brewing one for 4 quid at The Works
Nothing's forgotten, nothings EVER forgotten...

TheEarlOfMarquis

Post by TheEarlOfMarquis » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 pm

I bought this book having got back into all grain after a long break and I fancied trying something other than British Ale styles, all my other books are by Grahame Wheeler, great books also which got me started in all grain brewing.
I am currently brewing the Oatmeal stout and traditional Bock from this book which are looking very promising indeed. The book is easy to follow and a great read with photo's to make your mouth water.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Still use this book a great deal. As with many on this forum I buy my ingredients from the Malt Miller. I noticed recently that a great many of Greg's recipes from this book have been set up by users of that site to get the right quantities with a minimum of fuss (and cost and leftover half bags of grain!). Of course you have to double check them as maybe someone has omitted an ingredient that they already have a sack of, or even typos etc., but good nevertheless.

Anyway, I am surprised that only one or two are available as kits on the BrewUK site (owned by Greg), he's missing a trick here. If I owned that site and had written that book (and sold so many copies), I'd have a whole portion of the website set up to easily locate and order the ingredients for every recipe, maybe with a choice of yeasts (none also being an option).

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Brewed Summer Ale recipe on 6th June. As per the recipe but with my own re-harvested WLP001 culture.

Kegged and all disappeared in under 2 hrs at a party on 15th July. Very quaffable beer, sessionable strength, wonderful colour, did what it said on the tin!

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 pm

started brewing a year ago and done about 11 brews - most from this book. working my way through it. cascade Pale ale was a winner.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:30 pm

barry44 wrote:I concur, i tweaked the 60 minute IPA to my preferred abv and ibu and made a belter of a brew.

Planning the EKG Smash, the black IPA and the milk stout in my forthcoming brews.
had the 60 min bottled a couple of weeks ago. ended up with FG 1004 instead of 1014. first tasting is a distinctly over bitter. hopefully not a yeast infection :|

clockhouse
Tippler

Post by clockhouse » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I've done quite a few from this book.

Here's the ones I remember:

Black IPA - Ive not tasted a better one (so far!)

Single Hop Nelson sauvignon - I tweaked this with a different yeast and dry hopped. Ive made this a couple of times. Exceptional. I go to bed dreaming about that one ha ha

Paters bier - a bit of a let down, but that was more my fault for under carbonating

Single hop cascade (or might have been the Amarillo one) - decent

Ive done a couple of the other ones, but id need to check my notes