Brewing Britain by Andy Hamilton

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Jim
Site Admin

Brewing Britain by Andy Hamilton

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Brewing Britain – The Quest for the Perfect Pint
Andy Hamilton

This book is a cracking good read for anyone interested in beer. Andy Hamilton displays his expert knowledge of beer and brewing, with here and there a touch of earthy humour and witty banter, making this book fun as well as informative.

While it focuses on British styles, there is plenty of information on continental beers, and also references to the American brewing scene.

The book has sections aimed at both the drinker (with a couple of hangover cures thrown in) and the brewer and while the practicalities of the brewing process are not discussed in as much detail as some dedicated brewing books, there are extensive guides on malt and hop varieties as well as information on yeast, water treatment etc which make this book a worthwhile addition to any brewer’s library. There’s even a section on growing your own ingredients!

The largest section of the book is devoted to beer styles, including just about every British and many continental styles. You get a definition and description of each style together with best commercial examples and sample recipes for grain and extract brewers. Kit brewers get tips on the best available kits for the style.

When I tell you that some of the example recipes have been supplied by the likes of Orfy, Rob (The Malt Miller), our very own PDTNC, Greg (from Brew UK) and Tom Evans, you’ll get an idea of the quality of information you can expect from this well-researched book.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Brewing Britain by Andy Hamilton

Post by Dave S » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 am

Jim wrote:Brewing Britain – The Quest for the Perfect Pint
Andy Hamilton

This book is a cracking good read for anyone interested in beer. Andy Hamilton displays his expert knowledge of beer and brewing, with here and there a touch of earthy humour and witty banter, making this book fun as well as informative.

While it focuses on British styles, there is plenty of information on continental beers, and also references to the American brewing scene.

The book has sections aimed at both the drinker (with a couple of hangover cures thrown in) and the brewer and while the practicalities of the brewing process are not discussed in as much detail as some dedicated brewing books, there are extensive guides on malt and hop varieties as well as information on yeast, water treatment etc which make this book a worthwhile addition to any brewer’s library. There’s even a section on growing your own ingredients!

The largest section of the book is devoted to beer styles, including just about every British and many continental styles. You get a definition and description of each style together with best commercial examples and sample recipes for grain and extract brewers. Kit brewers get tips on the best available kits for the style.

When I tell you that some of the example recipes have been supplied by the likes of Orfy, Rob (The Malt Miller), our very own PDTNC, Greg (from Brew UK) and Tom Evans, you’ll get an idea of the quality of information you can expect from this well-researched book.
Good tip Jim, thanks. I've been racking my brain for a decent book, (that I haven't already got) for my Xmas wishlist. Maybe this is it.
Best wishes

Dave

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Does anyone know of a good supplier for this book?
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 pm

ArmChair wrote:Does anyone know of a good supplier for this book?
Link
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Jim wrote:
Link
Just what I was going to say :)
Best wishes

Dave

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Jim wrote:
Link

Cheers Jim
Fantastic price, and one that will be joining my ever expanding book collection & waist line!
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Andy came a did a talk at the Leeds homebrew club erlier in the year. Really nice bloke. I will be getting this book and I encourage anyone into beer to have a look at this and his other publication 'booze for free'

top bloke

LB

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 am

I've been looking for books to supplement my Christmas list and have ordered a copy after seeing this thread :)

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I was thinking it was a different Andy Hamilton

edit: :lol: just found this animated clip http://vimeo.com/18548787
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.