IPA - Mitch Steele

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Mr. Dripping

IPA - Mitch Steele

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 am

IPA by Mitch Steele
This IMO is a very well written and engaging book.
There is a lot of very well researched historical information about the development of the style of the beer and it also covers the modern re-birth of IPA.
Ingredients and production techniques are well explained and I'm sure that even the most experienced brewer can take something from this book to improve their processes and beers of this style. Or even just experiment for the sake of it :)
Great recipe section including historical beers from the 18th Century to modern day beers from Stone, DogFish Head, Thornbridge and the likes.
The only small criticism I would have is that the recipes are written for big commercial kit, so there is a fair bit of work involved converting hop percentages and fiddling about with IBU's and such if you want to try and brew these beers at home.....but I guess this is part of the fun for many.
Lots of water profiles are given too which I liked.

All in all a very good book that I would heartily recommend. I am sure I will be referring back to it a lot over years to come.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: IPA - Mitch Steele

Post by Dave S » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:IPA by Mitch Steele
This IMO is a very well written and engaging book.
There is a lot of very well researched historical information about the development of the style of the beer and it also covers the modern re-birth of IPA.
Ingredients and production techniques are well explained and I'm sure that even the most experienced brewer can take something from this book to improve their processes and beers of this style. Or even just experiment for the sake of it :)
Great recipe section including historical beers from the 18th Century to modern day beers from Stone, DogFish Head, Thornbridge and the likes.
The only small criticism I would have is that the recipes are written for big commercial kit, so there is a fair bit of work involved converting hop percentages and fiddling about with IBU's and such if you want to try and brew these beers at home.....but I guess this is part of the fun for many.
Lots of water profiles are given too which I liked.

All in all a very good book that I would heartily recommend. I am sure I will be referring back to it a lot over years to come.
Yes, I read that on holiday last year, (much to the chagrin of my other half :) ) and a good read it is too. On the matter of recipe scaling, I would just plug it into Beersmith as is and let it do the re-scaling - doddle.
Best wishes

Dave

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Re: IPA - Mitch Steele

Post by AdyG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 pm

It is a great book. I've done a couple of Jaipur brews from it, plus the Seaforth IPA all with great success. I will be going for one of the double IPAs soon.

As Dave S says above I stuck it in BrewMate and later BeerSmith and pretty much got the targets I was aiming for.