Any UK magazines?

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
SBMongoose

Any UK magazines?

Post by SBMongoose » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 am

Hi all.

I know in the US there are (now) three magazines on homebrewing beer. Are there any UK magazines other than the CAMERA "Beer" magazine which has a page or two, but is far more general?
I know to quite an extent sites such as this make them slightly superfluous, but a glossy mag can be good to flick through too.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Re: Any UK magazines?

Post by timbo41 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:00 pm

To my knowledge no. However, the craft brewers association do print a newsletter. Last. I looked though,and with no intended offence....its a little dated
Just like trying new ideas!

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm

SBMongoose wrote:I know to quite an extent sites such as this make them slightly superfluous...
And that's the point really. There is more knowledge on this forum than in all the brewing mags put together. Mags are only economical to produce if they have a large circulation so as that there new fangled t'internet thing gets ever bigger mags become less relevant and less worthwhile to produce. A brewing mag would be targeting a minority of a minority. It's the same in the 'States except the minority is bigger so paper mags will take longer to die out, but die out they will.

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:06 pm

boingy wrote:
SBMongoose wrote:I know to quite an extent sites such as this make them slightly superfluous...
And that's the point really. There is more knowledge on this forum than in all the brewing mags put together. Mags are only economical to produce if they have a large circulation so as that there new fangled t'internet thing gets ever bigger mags become less relevant and less worthwhile to produce. A brewing mag would be targeting a minority of a minority. It's the same in the 'States except the minority is bigger so paper mags will take longer to die out, but die out they will.
But video never killed the radio star

:unsure:

b4dg3r

Post by b4dg3r » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Hey guys

Hop & Barley has a few home brewing articles

http://www.hopandbarley.co.uk/

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I often read BYO from the states. I find the articles are often written with reference to scientific studies or from people that really know their stuff. People on here know there stuff but if one asks a question you often get a number of replies all with slightly different answers. That's great but I've got no way of knowing whose advice to take.
I like reading a well written mag that has some decent well sourced facts to inform my brewing. You can get electronic version of BYO or the international subscription isn't too steep.....

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 am

I recently became a member of the AHA for this very reason.....lack of a UK based regular brewing magazine. £30 for a years membership with online access to all issues since 2000 seemed a very good deal to me. Yes, it's all about America......but I have read some great articles and features. Lots of recipe ideas too.
The Brewers Contact magazine is okay and I applaud the guys who put it together for at least doing something with what must be very limited funds......reminds me, I must renew my subs.

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Mr dripping is the AHA mag Zymurgy? Read a few of those - that's great stuff too.

DethApostle
Piss Artist

Post by DethApostle » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Yes it is. I subscribe to BYO and also got AHA membership in order to get Zymurgy magazine.
I'm firmly in the camp of "read/learn as much as you can all the time" camp. Even if it has an American slant it's still very easily translatable to UK brewing!

DA
Demon Valley Brewing
2012 - 2020
--------------------------------
Total Brewed: 2560 pints
--------------------------------

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Slightly late on the up take but the CBA used to do a magazine, you got it free when you joined it was a decent read, I didn't keep my subs up so unfortunately I'm not sure if they still do :shock:
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:37 am

alix101 wrote:Slightly late on the up take but the CBA used to do a magazine, you got it free when you joined it was a decent read, I didn't keep my subs up so unfortunately I'm not sure if they still do :shock:
The CBA is effectively moribund, along with the magazine. However the regional groups still meet, e.g. the Norfolk one every 1/4 but Essex, Cambridge and Suffolk branches meet at different times which means you can attend more often in our region.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer