Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 pm

I still love my early print "Dave Line - Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy" Think he died when he was around 38?

BB
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy

Post by chris2012 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Yeah I love that book too! Yeah on mine it mentions how young he died.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:27 pm

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:I still love my early print "Dave Line - Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy" Think he died when he was around 38?

BB
Don't know how true it is but I heard somewhere he died of liver damaged caused by brewing with plastic bins that were not food grade.

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Dennis King wrote: Don't know how true it is but I heard somewhere he died of liver damaged caused by brewing with plastic bins that were not food grade.
Liver damage possibly, but damage caused by brewing with plastic bins that were not food grade is pure supposition and quite unlikely in my view. At the time when a previous publisher of his books was extant, and that publisher suggested that I might like to revise The Big Book of Brewing, the publisher told me that he thought that Dave Line died of a heart attack. However Dave Line's successors are still about, because had I accepted the commission there would then have to had to have been an arrangement made with the copyright owner (daughter-in-law, I think) to allow me to do so (but I declined the offer). So a definitive reason for Dave Line's death should be obtainable with a little digging around amongst those who knew him personally.

Dave Line's books were among those that gave me my early introduction to home brewing, and there is no doubt that my Brew Your Own... was inspired by Dave Line's Brewing Beers Like..., so his heritage still lives on.

The reason that I said that it was unlikely that his ailment was caused by using plastic bins that were not food grade is that he would have had no need to do such a thing. Dave Line was no fool, and would not have taken the risk if there was any likelihood of danger. Non-food-grade plastics are not particularly toxic these days, which is why people get away with using picnic coolers as mash tuns. Most of these coolers are not meant to come in to contact with consumable liquids and do not need to be food-grade plastic. Also, if his book went down as well as my recipe books did, he would have been inundated with more food-grade brewing bins than he knew what to do with, he probably got them for free too.

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks for the insight Graham, another internet rumor. Good to see you back on here again.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Graham, good to see you back.

Does that mean you have more food grade brewing bins than you know what to do with ;)

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Dennis King wrote:Thanks for the insight Graham, another internet rumor. Good to see you back on here again.
Perhaps not rumour; it is highly probable that he did die from a liver complaint, at least that is what Wikipedia says (yes I know), but the reference given is a bit vague. Over the years I have come across several people that have met him (he used to do talks and demonstrations at home-brew clubs/shops) and invariably I ask that question, I have also asked others who have been in the hobby for years and who might have remembered his passing or have seen his obituary, and it seems that no-one seems to know for sure. Even his publisher said "he thought it was a heart attack" which is not a definitive answer. He is one of those people that I would like to have met, and certainly would like to know more about.

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:32 pm

I am certainly grateful to him for moving me on from the recipes of the Ken Shales books to making really decent beers.

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:39 pm

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Does that mean you have more food grade brewing bins than you know what to do with ;)
I must confess that I have had the occasional free gift from home brewing shops, or trade suppliers, and I naturally assumed that Dave Line would have enjoyed similar treatment. As a result of my age, physical condition, and because these circumstances have forced me to downsize my living accommodation, I am gradually getting rid of my accumulated brewing paraphernalia, just keeping a few bits back to photograph for the new book. After that it all gets disposed of and that will be the end of brewing for me.

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Good news there may be a new book but sad to hear you are stopping brewing.

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Dennis King wrote:I am certainly grateful to him for moving me on from the recipes of the Ken Shales books to making really decent beers.
In fact, I admired Ken Shales' enthusiastic writing style; I wish I could imitate it. I know his books had major flaws, but don't we all? There were a lot worse home brewing books out there than those by Ken Shales.

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Graham wrote:
Dennis King wrote:I am certainly grateful to him for moving me on from the recipes of the Ken Shales books to making really decent beers.
In fact, I admired Ken Shales' enthusiastic writing style; I wish I could imitate it. I know his books had major flaws, but don't we all? There were a lot worse home brewing books out there than those by Ken Shales.
Ken Shales was very local to me. Two of my friend's Dads were amongst he's tasting gang and told me a few stories. Another one who died to young.

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Dennis King wrote:Good news there may be a new book but sad to hear you are stopping brewing.
It's an age thing, I am not yet, not quite, official retirement age, but I have the fitness of a man twice my age. I still have an issue with balance and an unpredictable left hand; not as unpredictable as Doctor Strangelove's hand, but it makes lifting and moving full vessels around a risky business. Time to call it a day I think. I have been at it since 1979 and the enthusiasm is not as strong as it used to be.

It won't stop me lurking on here, though, and causing as much controversy as I can. Ah! simple pleasures.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:14 am

Me too. But there again poor Ken died an early death. Perhaps is a homebrew hazard. Really good to see Graham posting also
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 am

As Amazon have them on sale 2 books for a tenner, I've ordered them both for a read.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)