Good Brewing books

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Fastline
Hollow Legs

Good Brewing books

Post by Fastline » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Well anyone just getting into brewing or thinking of getting deeper into i got the following books from amazon turn up today, only had a quick brows through them so far but really glad i did get them

Home Brew beyond the Basics by Mike Karnowski
Home Brew Beer By Greg Hughes
Clone Brews Recipes for 200 commercial beers by Tess and Mark Szamatulski

Lots of really good information and really well laid out recipes

I've got a cupboard full of kits but really want to do all grain and these are answering lots of questions that are obvious to the experienced brewer

I had read lots on a kindle but i think the book is so much better for this sort of thing great pictures too so very inspirational

barry44

Re: Good Brewing books

Post by barry44 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:47 pm

I really like the Greg Hughes book and I am planning my next couple of brews from it.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 pm

barry44 wrote:I really like the Greg Hughes book and I am planning my next couple of brews from it.
I really like this book too, it's got a very broad range of styles. My BYOBYA is good, but there's only so many variations of Maris Otter, crystal and Goldings that I want to brew.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:46 am

Yes the Greg Hughes book is good, I have read a bit of extreme brewing by the guy from dog head fish and it looks like Greg took some of the recipes from that book such as an 60 minute ipa, imperial pilsner and kiwi wheat.

I would also recommend brewing classic styles by Jamil, its for extract and all grain and covers all the styles from the bjcp with more detailed descriptions of the beers than in Greg's book
Last edited by legion on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

daf

Post by daf » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Another +1 for the Greg Hughes book. Lots of accessible recipes, and a wide variety. I do them all 'biab'.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:14 pm

daf wrote:Another +1 for the Greg Hughes book. Lots of accessible recipes, and a wide variety. I do them all 'biab'.
I do like the look of some of the recipes in the GH book and intend to try some of them - must pull me finger out :roll: .
Best wishes

Dave

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:43 pm

I've only tried the 60 minute IPA and it was lovely.

I'm looking to do the EKG single hop, the black IPA and the milk stout as some of my next 6 brews.

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Yes I would recommend the GH book - brewed several of recipes and they work well.

My next two brew might come from there - the Vienna Lager and the the milk stout (if I can get hold of some special b in time)

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:45 pm

Maltmiller has special b, mine came today.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:26 pm

I like Greg's book for recipes but I'm glad that I read How to Brew by John Palmer first in order to better understand the all grain process.