The Home Brewer's Database - Les Howarth

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
The Epworth Brewer

The Home Brewer's Database - Les Howarth

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Just found reference to this book whilst googling about. 3rd ed now out.

Has anyone used any of these books?

The Epworth Brewer

Re: The Home Brewer's Database - Les Howarth

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:08 am

Should read 'The Home Brewer's Recipe Database'

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:23 pm

It's a good book with a lot of beers but they are only a list of the ingredients not the amounts needed to replicate although a few have percentages.

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Dennis. From the example page shown on Amazon at least some should be pretty near cloneable when the info is used in conjunction with Graham's Beer Engine. If I can't get my hands on a 2nd hand 1st or 2nd Edition I think I'll go for the latest edition. Even if I only get to replicate a handful it still looks a good book as you say.

Les_Howarth
Steady Drinker

Post by Les_Howarth » Fri May 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Just seen this. Thanks for the good comments.

For beers with only ingredient information then either 1. that is all I could find, or 2. there is a recipe out there (which will be referenced) that I want to be careful about reproducing because I don't want to infringe copyright. I've been informed that you can't copyright a recipe and you definitely can't copyright a list of ingredients but you can copyright a collection of recipes, so I'm being a bit careful in what I publish. Also, I really have no interest in taking business from the recipe book writers.

Whether it is a connection to a recipe or a simple list of ingredients, I view my book as a starting point for a brewer to start experimenting...

And don't buy the 1st edition! - it is overpriced in paper format (I was a beginner at the time), but there are e-book formats for the 1st and 2nd editions.
Les Howarth

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 am

most recipes are complete, the concise format does involve a wee bit of decoding tho as the grain and hop bills are presented as ratios or %'s

thankfully the initial chapters do detail step by step how to use the recipes and its pretty straight forward..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(