microbrewers handbook

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Fastline
Hollow Legs

microbrewers handbook

Post by Fastline » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I've got a copy of this on order, has anyone hear read it?
What was your thoughts on the book?
Anyone read it and gone for it

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: microbrewers handbook

Post by Eadweard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:24 pm

It's a must if you're thinking of opening a micro

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Its been highly recommended by many for quite some time, for any brewers with commercial aspirations. Its not a 'how to brew', more a 'things to consider with going commercial'.
Kev

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:05 pm

I've been reading through this book, got to say it really is very concise. One thing is for sure after reading this is that there are lots and lots of things to consider when starting a brewing business.
I think if you still want to start a micro brewery after reading this you must be very passionate about wanting to do it.
The book goes into costs and tax right through to what's involved in getting rid of the spent grains.
Recommended read, but don't think its going to tell you how to brew, lots of other good books and this forum for that.

BlackRocksBrewery

Post by BlackRocksBrewery » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I bought an older edition of this book several years ago and really enjoyed it and recommend it even though I never really intended to open a commercial brewery. A friend has recently started commercial cider brewing on a small scale and wants to brew beer on a similar basis. I gave him the book and he still wants to proceed with the brewery. Cider making seems to have very few legal rules and up to 7000litres it can be sold free of tax. As we find out from the Microbrewers Handbook everything from the brewery has to be declared - even the stuff thrown away.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:21 pm

The cider thing comes from Mr T Blair urging farmers to 'diversify' during foot and mouth in 2005.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Thu May 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Tony must be a cider man