Beer Line Length

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
fordpopular
Piss Artist

Beer Line Length

Post by fordpopular » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:44 pm

Trying to get my bar taps sorted they take 5/16th 8mm OD pipe I only have a couple of meters of pipe
and with the pressure down about as far as it will go 4-5 psi getting quite a bit of foam.
what length of 5/16th pipe do I need ?

Raize
Steady Drinker

Re: Beer Line Length

Post by Raize » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:00 pm

I use 20ft of 5/16 OD pipe at 1bar pressure at 5 degrees C and get reasonable pouring results.
Correct pouring technique is critical. Do not hold the tap half-open and do not allow the beer to splash into your glass.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:41 am

a length of 3/16" microline between the keg and tap will reduce the pressure at the tap point, its probably the dramatic drop in pressure thats stimulating the foam out..

most folk find a length 4-5ft (5ft in my case..) in length works well enough for most styles of beer, the theory iirc is that the microline reduces circa 1-2psi per foot length, and that a target pressure drop or gradient at the tap point is 1-2psi.. so if the beer is at 10 psi you want to absorb 8-9psi of that pressure with a length of 4-5ft of 3/16" microline. microline is easier to coil without kinking, kinking is bad as is sheering pressure on JG seals..

a couple if 5/16 to 3/16 JG stem adaptors is all you need to add the micro line.. I lost the link to a useful site with the metrics but iirc the 5/16" line wont have any noticable restricion until after 12ft or more..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:04 pm

It's not so much the length of the line that counts it is getting the carbonation right that counts . Do you or have you bottled your beer? If you have did it make a loud pop when you opened the bottle? . Have you ever heard a loud pop on opening a bottle of commercial beer no matter what style? They always just make a gentle hiss. All of my beers a delivered to the tap by means of 60 cms of 7 mm line even wheat beers and they don't foam. Give it a try.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:52 pm

IPA wrote:It's not so much the length of the line that counts it is getting the carbonation right that counts .

Spot on, mine are standard and no more than the length from tap to keg. Temperature is another factor too warm and that will cause fobbing, you can of course get taps with flow control from Ali Express for around £20 but reducing the carbonation is key. I find that between 49-72 hours at 12-3c is plenty, shorter time for bitters longer for stouts etc.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

fordpopular
Piss Artist

Post by fordpopular » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Cheers Guys, just tried bodging in a length of 3/16" line which I bought in error a while ago with massively improved results just need to order some proper reducers and experiment with the length, I usually bottle and use the brewers friend carbonation calculator which is usually spot on for me the cornies however have been force carbed, seems a bit more hit and miss for getting the carbonation just right

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

there is a conditioning/kegging chart stickied in here,
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=55498
if you have control of the keg temp simply look up the conditioning level desired and set the tep and co2 pressure accordingly.. within a few weeks the beer should be at optimum condition and the pressure/temp set will maintain the condition level till the last pint drawn..

my kegs sit without temp control so its a bit more of a tweaking art, but even so the kegging chart is a useful reference..

if you should over condition you can loose it fairly rapidly with a few shake and vent cycles ;)

fordpopular
Piss Artist

Post by fordpopular » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks Fil, Think I actually contributed to that thread with a chart marked up with centigrade only just started using the cornies after a year of bottling and forgot about that chart I even have one printed out somewhere :oops:

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:07 am

fordpopular wrote:Thanks Fil, Think I actually contributed to that thread with a chart marked up with centigrade only just started using the cornies after a year of bottling and forgot about that chart I even have one printed out somewhere :oops:
I would be wary of that chart, it is US based and reflects their fondness for carbonation. 1/2 the problems people experience with carbonation issues are due to adherence to "foreign" guidelines.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 am

orlando wrote:
fordpopular wrote:Thanks Fil, Think I actually contributed to that thread with a chart marked up with centigrade only just started using the cornies after a year of bottling and forgot about that chart I even have one printed out somewhere :oops:
I would be wary of that chart, it is US based and reflects their fondness for carbonation. 1/2 the problems people experience with carbonation issues are due to adherence to "foreign" guidelines.
Sound advice. If you do use US charts for priming start with the MINIMUM amount advised and be prepared to add less next time. Another tip is to make sure that you have really reached FG before kegging.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Fil

Post by Fil » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Too true, i should have mentioned it, the charts are all based on US brewers tastes and i think they prefer a bit more fizz in their beers..

IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:40 am

I've found so much variance due to the type of tap, that tweaking your own setup is probably more effective than a calulator which could be a waste of time.

With cornies at 10C carbed and kept at 10psi - Dalex flow control taps needed >10 foot of 3/16" tube for a foam free but very slow pour. The non-flow control ones are much better. I now use Perlick American style taps and they need just 2 foot of 3/16" tube, fast flow and no foaming at all.

Dalex-style flow control taps seem to do a very good job of generating foam! (The Perlick flow control tap is fine, you can connect one straight to the cornie disco without reducing the pressure, choke the flow and get no foaming at all....)