Bottling is ruining my brewing mojo!

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Bottling is ruining my brewing mojo!

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Bought some NBS no rinse, cut time drastically, which is good. However I've had the usual bottling nightmare where I've needed 3 hands, contorted myself like hell and stretched muscles i thought i never had. I hold the syphon with one hand and bottle with the wand with the other, then tip to 45 degs for the last lot. I can't afford cornies nor do i have the space. I have a barrel with a s30 valve but my kitchen gets too hot in summer, i don't have the space or cash for a brew fridge set up.
So how do you bottle? A tap and wand? Does this over fizz? Will an FV with tap fit in a 40l trug/ water bath? Do you use a syphon clip? If so which one as the one i got from youngs is shit.
Just finished bottling and nearly threw in the brewing towel....F**k you bottling!

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Bottling is ruining my brewing mojo!

Post by Pinto » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Tapped secondary fermenter with the lil bottler lance on a length of 10mm silicone tubing - easy as pie :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Pinto wrote:Tapped secondary fermenter with the lil bottler lance on a length of 10mm silicone tubing - easy as pie :)
+1 makes the job almost a pleasure...ok maybe a slight exaggeration! Image
Ian

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Post by AdrianTrace » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 pm

I sterilise a demijohn to take the last few litres, so I can concentrate on tipping the bucket without sediment. I can then bottle from the DJ without the cup on the end of the siphon tube with no hassle.

Sent from my thl 5000 using Tapatalk
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:46 pm

Invest in a bench capper and a mini vinator bottle rinser and you're laughing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:12 pm

know exactly how you feel! somehow i still mess up and make the same mistakes every now and again! but the trick is obviously to eliminate the need to hold the siphon or FV. tap/bottler works well if you can tilt it on something to get the last bit. i got a siphon clip as well that works well with the stainless racking cane i got, but is too loose on the standard plastic racking cane, though i "solved" this with a few wraps of insulation tape..
i also use table place mats to finetune the angle of the DJ/FV so no need to hold it tilted 'cause i've done that too many times..
setting it up tilted from the start also helps if possible - even time in advance if convenient
dazzled, doused in gin..

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:41 pm

If you can batch prime into a dedicated bottlin bucket, with tap, the job gets a lot easier.

If you use a plunger arrangement to sanitise your bottles, this helps a lot too.

Also, look at the fastrack bottle drying system

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:38 pm

If you get into it with the right attitude it's a relaxing time.

But first :-
A bottling tree
One of those squirty bottle washers
A bulk priming bucket
A little bottler
A bench capper or swing bottles.

It's all in the setting up and organisation get that right and it's all gravy :)

Aamcle

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:00 am

Peat,
I find bottling my Beers to be therapeutic if I have the right conditions.
Alone in the house, radio on loud, homebrew in abundance for short breaks after so much effort! :D
Get all your gear ready for bottling, doesn`t matter what time it is, open a HB, Slurp vigourously and say `That`s a nice HB`.
Start bottling, fill 12 bottles, cap bottles, out the garden for 1/2 pint and a smoke.
Fill another 12 bottles, cap bottles, out the garden for 1/2 pint and a smoke.
On the way back from garden another 1/2 is called for. Thirsty work this bottling! :D
Fill another 12 bottles, cap bottles, should be finished now for 20Lts, out the garden for a pint and a smoke. :D
Sit in the Sunshine with another Pint and think `Oh Sh%t, Cleaning Gear time now`. #-o
MrsAles comes home from work at 5.30pm, sees me zonked in the garden and says `Been bottling have you`!

WA

And Yes, the lid of the FV is off all the time I am getting zonked, (sorry, bottling)!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:03 am

Although I posted this 3 years ago now and I no longer bottle like this as I use a Pegas tap for that. The principles in this long thread are still valid.

Take a look at this thread, starts at the 11th post subtitled "Packaging". It reflects a lot of the comment to date with a few more hints and tips to make it a little less than the monumental PITA you are experiencing at the moment.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Great post orlando! :D
I loved the one below it where you were pouting because there were no comments or input.
I will say this, You really should stop biting your nails, your thumb looks terrible. :D :D

WA

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:13 am

WalesAles wrote:Great post orlando! :D
I loved the one below it where you were pouting because there were no comments or input.
I will say this, You really should stop biting your nails, your thumb looks terrible. :D :D

WA

:lol: After all the time it took the dummy was out and all the toys, ungrateful sods. :mrgreen: As for the thumb, just a trick of the light, I'm usually (over) confident about my beers. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Cheers all, i've calmed down a bit too!

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:20 pm

WalesAles wrote:Peat,
I find bottling my Beers to be therapeutic if I have the right conditions.
Alone in the house, radio on loud, homebrew in abundance for short breaks after so much effort! :D
Get all your gear ready for bottling, doesn`t matter what time it is, open a HB, Slurp vigourously and say `That`s a nice HB`.
Start bottling, fill 12 bottles, cap bottles, out the garden for 1/2 pint and a smoke.
Fill another 12 bottles, cap bottles, out the garden for 1/2 pint and a smoke.
On the way back from garden another 1/2 is called for. Thirsty work this bottling! :D
Fill another 12 bottles, cap bottles, should be finished now for 20Lts, out the garden for a pint and a smoke. :D
Sit in the Sunshine with another Pint and think `Oh Sh%t, Cleaning Gear time now`. #-o
MrsAles comes home from work at 5.30pm, sees me zonked in the garden and says `Been bottling have you`!

WA

And Yes, the lid of the FV is off all the time I am getting zonked, (sorry, bottling)!
Im surprised you finish bottling with all that imbibing!....

Orwell

Post by Orwell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 am

I have a little bottler connected to both of my FV's
Makes the job so easy