Bottling it! (with pictures)

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
sargie

Re: Bottling it! (with pictures)

Post by sargie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 am

crookedeyeboy wrote:Great post as I have just done my first lot of bottling and was wondering how to improve it!

Where did you get the stick from for bottling? Seems like a very good way of filling straight from FV.
Bottom of the page m8ty.

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/Beer_Syphon.html

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Great! Cheers for that. Roll on payday :-)

It never ceases to amaze me how many home brew shops there are on the net, never seen this one before!

CrownCap
Hollow Legs

Post by CrownCap » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:54 pm

This is the one I use http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/de ... GEN2147353

Fits onto any standard tap with the addition of a short bit of tubing.

sargie

Post by sargie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Great! Cheers for that. Roll on payday :-)

It never ceases to amaze me how many home brew shops there are on the net, never seen this one before!
Well they are local to me so i have had the pleasure of using their shop i went in today infact with the wife and they were handing out tasters of niagra mist wine which was amazing. I have found them very polite and courtious they can't do enough for you. We were in there for about half an hour today just talking with them i bet they were glad when we went lol.

I am not affiliated with them in anyway and im not just recomending them coz im local they really are very good. They have even got the missus interested in brewing wine which is a huge bonus :)
Last edited by sargie on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Thats excellent news!

I really like their prices too!

wgardner

Post by wgardner » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:49 pm

Great post :D

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Great post CC,did you rack from primary to bottle bucket,or was it in secondary already.Could you elaborate on your process before you racked to bottling bucket if you could be so kind.

Sorry if i have missed the obvious.

Graham.

CrownCap
Hollow Legs

Post by CrownCap » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Well this was a couple of years ago now, but it you have a look at the link at the beginning of the first post you'll see this was not what you might call an "optimal" brew. This one did go into secondary, but only because it had stuck. As a matter of course I don't bother with a secondary now, preferring to extend the primary if needed. So normally I'd go straight from primary to bottling bucket.

Basically, don't get too hung up on what you should and shouldn't do. It's quite hard to really mess it up. By all means take advice on best practice, but ultimately if you find a way that works for you and produces the results you're after then go with it.

Happy brewing (and bottling),
CC

atc

Post by atc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 am

I like this a lot much easier on the back. Now a quick question; did you make the bottling stick or buy it ? I've never seen one with a needle valve only with a tap.

Cheers
atc

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:02 pm

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/Beer_Syphon.html

Scroll down to the bottom :D

Everyone slates it for dripping but its really not a problem, I put a glass underneath and then drink it. What could be simpler!

Well worth every penny

fractureman
Piss Artist

Post by fractureman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:40 pm

yes it does drip, not thought of using a glass underneath cheers for the idea ;)
keg 1 : (Drinking) : Amarillo extract brew
keg 2 : (Conditioning) : Summer Ale extract
keg 3 : (Conditioning) : Lightening extract Goldings only
keg 4 : (Conditioning) : Lightening etxract

FV1 : FV2 :
Bottled: Brewferm Diabolo, Brewferm frambois
next up: coppers stout:)

leon103

Post by leon103 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Hope this is the correct place to post this.

I am making another batch of Coopers Australian Pale Ale.

This is my third time bottling the ale and I usually add the priming sugar straight into the bottles after filling them with ale. Using this method I get a lot of fiz when opening and a very good head when pouring. The only downside its a bit messy and takes a lot longer.

From reading on here people seem to either put the sugar in water or the wort and boil then had to the ale before bottling. Is that right? Sorry still new to this.

Is there any differences in the outcome? I don't want to lose that great fiz and head from the bottle but want to make the process easier.

CrownCap
Hollow Legs

Post by CrownCap » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:19 pm

It really shouldn't matter how you prime, its the amount of sugar you use that will determine the level of carbonation (and the activity of the yeast, of course).

leon103

Post by leon103 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm

CrownCap wrote:It really shouldn't matter how you prime, its the amount of sugar you use that will determine the level of carbonation (and the activity of the yeast, of course).
Thanks. I might follow your example. Is there much need to use a second FV?

CrownCap
Hollow Legs

Post by CrownCap » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:41 pm

No need for the second fv, I just find it easier to bottle every last drop without picking up too much yeast when using one.