Vastly over carbed bottles

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Vastly over carbed bottles

Post by sunny_jimbob » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm

It seems I bottled AG#22 before it had reached its proper final gravity (long story, involving a sudden drop in fermentation temperature). Now, when I open a bottle, there's an impressive fountain and a good 50% of the beer is lost. I've had no bottle bombs (so far) and the remaining beer tastes great. It's about 70/30 glass to PET bottles. Is there anything I can do to salvage the beer, so that a) a better percentage of it can be drunk, and b) I can give the odd bottle away without needing to give out towels as well?
Planck Length Brewery
Fermenting: AG#27 Spectroscope, AG#28 Astatine
Conditioning: AG#25 Event Horizon, AG#26 Planck Postulate, Kit#9 Delta
Drinking: AG#19 - Spectral Line, AG#20 - Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, AG#22 Inertial Confinement Fusion, AG#23 Nebula, AG#24 Olympus Mons

"Beauty is in the hand of the beerholder" brew blog | beer blog

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Vastly over carbed bottles

Post by fego » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Get it as cold as poss for as long as poss before opening, then open very slowly like its a shaken coke bottle. Oh, and use a plain widget free glass or it'll erupt all night.
Tea is for mugs...

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 am

If that doesn't work sanitise all chilled bottles and empty into a sanitised FV and rebottle once foam has died down.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Get it really cold then gently open the cap a little bit, it'll hiss and you'll get a bit of foamage. When you think you have it where you want it, recap it. Do it over the sink or outside though. let it resettle and rinse repeat until you have enough pressure out it doesnt cause a foam over. then just take all bottles down to this level. simples :)