bottling question

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Krispy Krouton

bottling question

Post by Krispy Krouton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi. Again struggling to find where to put this question, I must be a special case lol

I've brewed a wilco cervesa one can kit in four demi johns (5 litre water bottles) and the only way I can bottle it all up is by siphoning it into a clean fresh demi john and then pouring through a funnel into the bottles before capping. I've read that splashing the beer is bad as it introduces oxygen into the beer, but would this matter so much if the bottles are to be completely sealed after I pour it into the bottles with the priming sugar? My thinking is that oxygen is indeed a bad thing, but bad in the fermenter and not when bottling as the bottles will be sealed???

Cheers.

Oli1979

Re: bottling question

Post by Oli1979 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:24 pm

When you start to transfer beer from one container to another, what happens is, if you disturb the beer too much oxygen will get disolved into the beer.
What i would be tempted to do if i were you is to get a bull dog clip and attach it to you siphon tube. put half a teaspoon of sugar into each bottle (only half no more. less is better than more) then start siphoning out of number 1 demijohn into the first bottle, when its nearing the neck, clap the bull dog clip on, then lift tube out and into next bottle. Then release clip and flow will resume.
Its a hell of a lot easier with 2 people.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:36 pm

batch priming is the method of syphoning or draining off into a 2nd vessel into which the sugar for priming is added in bulk and from which it is then syphoned into the bottles complete with its priming charge.

the syphon minimises the contact with the air which will spoil the beer, so use it, its a 3 handed job so a clip as suggested above or tap on the end of the line helps as does a clip or bung to hold the rigid dip tube stable in the source bottle.

Dont waste the beer by pouring it into bottle thru a funnel.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Krispy Krouton

Post by Krispy Krouton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will use the bulldog clip method with a bung to hold the tube in the beer :) so just to clarify then, it's still bad to get oxygen into the beer even if it is to be sealed air tight straigt away?

Cheers :)

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Is there an issue with buying a bottling cane? Can't put a Slinky on at moment, but with a cane I can do a 40 bottle batch...which I batch prime,.... in about 15 mins, then cap.
Small tip,let run until just runs over, will be spot on volume then

Edit...just saw post Krispy...if you put cap on loosely and leave a few minutes before capping residual carving should purge the bottle
Just like trying new ideas!

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Krispy Krouton

Post by Krispy Krouton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for that timbo. . What's residual carving?

Krispy Krouton

Post by Krispy Krouton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:17 pm

So that didn't go very well. The bulldog clip wasn't strong enough and I got covered in it lol just looked for a bottling wand and can't find one, all I can find is a little bottler and I already have one of them. Can this be used as a wand and how?

Cheers.

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Krispy Krouton wrote:Thanks for that timbo. . What's residual carving?
Sorry typo,bloody predictive text.
When you've primed, you'll almost certainly get a little bit of c02 being given off...that will displace air from bottle..only takes a couple minutes then cap

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:57 pm

http://www.colchesterhomebrew.co.uk/col ... Stick.html

This is the sort of thing. On my siphon I've put a T-piece about 1/2 way down,with a tap. I use this to suck and start flow so none of the beer gets contaminated

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:26 pm

fyi i use a clean hand dunked in no-rinse sanitiser to close off the end of my syphon/drain tubes with a finger tip between vessels ;( taps n other solutions need 2 hands generally when i need my 2nd hand to change receiving vessels over.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Krispy Krouton

Post by Krispy Krouton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I wanted to get this stuff bottled up tonight because I took a sample and it was really good, I figured the quicker I could get it bottled and sealed the less chance of anything going off. Anyway I just finished bottling and I've got it sorted :) I have a little bottler for my 25 litre fv and I managed to get some hose on the other end, filled it with plain water to get the siphon working and it works a treat! :)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Krispy Krouton wrote:Thanks for all the replies and advice. I wanted to get this stuff bottled up tonight because I took a sample and it was really good, I figured the quicker I could get it bottled and sealed the less chance of anything going off. Anyway I just finished bottling and I've got it sorted :) I have a little bottler for my 25 litre fv and I managed to get some hose on the other end, filled it with plain water to get the siphon working and it works a treat! :)
Hello KK,
Glad to see you`ve got it all sorted. Don`t bother with the water for the syphon, just suck a few mouthfuls of the beer into your mouth (Taste Test) and you are away to go!
WA

Krispy Krouton

Post by Krispy Krouton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi walesales. Yeah I thought of sucking it through but with it being the little bottler on the end I'd have to push the valve in somehow to get the brew through. A bit tricky I reckon. Quite happy with the water though, I pull it through into a jar first obviously to get the beer through.