Sodastream 60L - capacity??

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
inthedark
Hollow Legs

Sodastream 60L - capacity??

Post by inthedark » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Sounds like a stupid question, but I've previously seen pub cylinders described as 20L, so what is the actual capacity of these SS cylinders? Confused...

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Sodastream 60L - capacity??

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:19 pm

I think you may be confusing gas cylinders with beer kegs. Cornelius kegs are about 20l capacity for liquid - the Sodastream 60l refers to the amount of gas in the CO2 cylinder.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

inthedark
Hollow Legs

Post by inthedark » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Just googled and found this site: http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/pages/beer-gas-prices.php

They have 20L pub gas containing 12.7kg, which is why I suspect that the Sodastream 60L is not comparable - unlikely to contain three times as much gas given the size.

So, is the SS under much lower pressure, making the '60L' part pretty meaningless, or does that mean something else (60L at atmospheric pressure perhaps?)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:49 pm

inthedark wrote:Just googled and found this site: http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/pages/beer-gas-prices.php

They have 20L pub gas containing 12.7kg, which is why I suspect that the Sodastream 60L is not comparable - unlikely to contain three times as much gas given the size.

So, is the SS under much lower pressure, making the '60L' part pretty meaningless, or does that mean something else (60L at atmospheric pressure perhaps?)
Ah, now I see what you mean. As you say Sodastream are using a different system to specify their cylinders' contents.

What are you wanting to run from the gas?

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

inthedark
Hollow Legs

Post by inthedark » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 pm

I was just wondering whether this would be a viable alternative to the slog of getting hold of pub gas - Hop and Grape has a regulator for use with the SS cylinders but if they're only providing 3 cornie's worth it wouldn't be worth it...

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 pm

inthedark wrote:I was just wondering whether this would be a viable alternative to the slog of getting hold of pub gas - Hop and Grape has a regulator for use with the SS cylinders but if they're only providing 3 cornie's worth it wouldn't be worth it...
If you're using cornies you'll go through a lot of gas - well worth going the pub cylinder route imo. You can get regs etc from NormanNumpta on ebay (or message him via ebay or pm him through this forum, as you'll get better prices going direct).

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

KOzric

Post by KOzric » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm

I think Sodastream 60L is the amount of liquid it can carbonate in it's standard sodastream machine, whilst pub bottles is the actual volume of gas in the bottle under pressure, usually at 200bar I think, though I may be wrong. I have pub bottle in the house, but I also have a sodastream adaptor. Once I have a carbonated keg I can plug the soda stream canister in and use it if I require a bit of portability, I wouldn't use it in the house though as I think you'd pretty much empty the cylinder after just one or two kegs.

quick edit: There are also guides out there showing you how to refill your own sodastream cannisters making them a bit more viable when moving kegs around, but for the amount I use and the with the cost of all the adaptors I just refill them for £10 at argos.

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:53 pm

KOzric wrote:I think Sodastream 60L is the amount of liquid it can carbonate in it's standard sodastream machine
I believe that this is correct and is a pretty daft way to specify a quantity of gas! If anyone has one of these cylinders it should have some useful numbers stamped on the bottle, probably near the neck. I would expect there to be a weight on there, probably two. One weight for the gas, one for the bottle plus the gas (or maybe the bottle on its own).

KOzric

Post by KOzric » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:02 pm

If I remember correctly from previous searches it works out at about 400g of CO2 in a sodastream, not sure really how that then equates to capacity without some more research.