5lt barrels - keep losing the plug

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

5lt barrels - keep losing the plug

Post by Chrissyr63 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi all,

I have a few of the steel 5lt barrels and tap and actually think they are great - small enough for fridge to chill down etc.
But On a couple of occasions when putting the bung in the clear plug has popped into the barrel! Am I doing something wrong?

C

afur130173

Re: 5lt barrels - keep losing the plug

Post by afur130173 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Take it off before adding the bung. You take it off to fill the keg, pit your bung in after filling.

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi a fur,

The white plug goes in from the bottom of the grey bung so has to be in when you put the bung in - it then gets pushed in as you insert the tap when drinking.
Not sure if I am pushinf the bung in the wrong way so pushing the plug in but try as much as I can can't push the bung in without touching the plug.
Wondered if anyone else had the same issue

C

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Sounds like you are doing it fine. When you push the dip tube it pushes the clear part of the bung into the keg. It does this so as to maintain a seal and keep the fizz in the keg. To get it out when you have emptied the keg just fill it with a little water, turn it upside down and shake gently.

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi Oz,

Think I'm describing my problem badly - when I fill the barrel and try and insert the bung (and plug is already inserted) the plug pops into the barrel . So I need to take the bung out put another plug in and try again. I get the plugs out when empty but am a bung/plug combo down until I drink it.
Once I get it all set up I really like the barrels and can insert the tap easily. Just keep running out of bungs/plugs ! Anyone suggest cheapest way to get them (seen hem for about 60p each but then you hit the 6 pound postage)

C

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 pm

Hmmm.. that does sound odd. I have a bung in front of me at the moment and the clear plastic insert is such a snug fit in the outer grey rubber I can't see how it's coming out. When you're putting the bung in just make sure you don't press down on the middle bit.

The other option is try the three piece red/black bungs as shown here below the grey one. The grey one in the picture is the one you are using, right?

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 am

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the little white plastic cap for when kegs are not in use. It certainly sounds like you have some very ill fitting bungs. As oz11 said they are such a snug fit (they have to be to hold pressure). The three piece bungs do work as I have a few of them and they allow you to use gravity to dispense the kegs contents. This is what I do as I don't have a tap. Does mean drinking the whole keg in a day or two, ho hum.

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:49 am

Hi Oz,
Yes it is the grey ones I am using. Suppose I just need to be a bit more careful and get some spares

C

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm

I filled some minikegs at the weekend and I now know what you mean! :)

I mainly use the 3 piece bungs but tried one of the grey ones. If you aren't careful I can see now how you can push the middle insert out and into the keg. The 3 piece bungs are designed such that they will not suffer the same problem and work fine with top taps. As something else to try gently tap the bung in with a mallet, I reckon this should get the bung in without knocking the middle bit out.