Fridge for Kegerator Conversion

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
rickw

Fridge for Kegerator Conversion

Post by rickw » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi Guys,

just wondering if anyone has any advice about suitable fridges for kegerator conversions?

been searching on Google and seen loads of stuff on US based sites about models (which are not easily available here) but not really much from anyone UK based.

Just wondered what people on here may have used in the past.

I'm ideally looking for a small "under-counter" style fridge due to lack of space which I can put a draft tower on top. Rather than a taller fridge with taps on the door.

Would want to be able to fit at least 2 Cornelius kegs + gas bottle inside.

As I'm in London & don't have access to a van or big car I ideally wanted something I can buy from somewhere like Currys and they can deliver as opposed to buying from ebay / gumtree etc where it would probably cost more in Van hire than I'd save by getting it that way,

Any tips?

Cheers

Rick

Addled Jim

Re: Fridge for Kegerator Conversion

Post by Addled Jim » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi
You want one 55cm wide which I think is the standard/largest size (they certainly do narrower ones)
Also the main thing to look out for is the compressor hump inside at the back, to get 2 kegs in you should choose one which is located to one side, not all the way across
I cannot recommend any new models but the Hotpoint RLA30 I have does the job, although I have my gas out of the fridge - I believe others also choose Hotpoint models too from what I researched - There maybe a newer Hotpoint model now as I went for a second hand one?
Good luck!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Another line of thought for you quite a few people do use / have converted chest freezers , with a timber collar between the body and the lid.

The taps being fitted in the collar.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:58 pm

barneey wrote:Another line of thought for you quite a few people do use / have converted chest freezers , with a timber collar between the body and the lid.

The taps being fitted in the collar.
Like this:

If I could have got away with making it smaller I would have as lifting full kegs is is not easy but I wanted the drip trays. If I can think of a way to attach them to the freezer I'll make the collar smaller.