Beer line cleaner

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
mosquat
Piss Artist

Beer line cleaner

Post by mosquat » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi all,

What products are people using to clear beer lines? I have a load of oxy but is there anything better?

Cheers for replies

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: Beer line cleaner

Post by Coffeeuk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:59 pm

I use the purple beer line cleaner

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Coffeeuk wrote:I use the purple beer line cleaner
And me, although I will do the odd one with oxy just to mix it up occasionally.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:45 pm

I use the purple stuff as well, although I was thinking about trying Star San. I know it's an excellent at cleaning equipment, but I don't know if it's also good as a beer line cleaner?

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks for the name 'purple one' its a new one for me, will take a look

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:51 am

I bought mine online from a place called Kellyseye.com and it came in a 5 litre container. You have to dilute it down, think it's one part line cleaner to 20 parts water so one container should last me a lifetime!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 am

Another vote for the purple stuff. I got mine online from Noble Express.

Prosan Plus Beerline Cleaner.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:46 pm

If you got a Makro card you can get line cleaner there for 7.55 Inc vat for 5L

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:57 pm

alexlark wrote:If you got a Makro card you can get line cleaner there for 7.55 Inc vat for 5L
That's what I use.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Nice one for that info

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:08 am

just wondering how people use the purple line cleaner with keg systems? i've pulled it through the beerengine easy enough, but should it be okay to fill up a sankey and push through the lines and taps with a little co2 pressure? should there be a limited contact time with the keg, or can i even soak the keg for a bit to clean it (is it essentially a caustic cleaner, should be good against beerstone, etc.?)
dazzled, doused in gin..

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Cheers everyone will be going purple very soon

f00b4r
Site Admin

Beer line cleaner

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

jaroporter wrote:just wondering how people use the purple line cleaner with keg systems? i've pulled it through the beerengine easy enough, but should it be okay to fill up a sankey and push through the lines and taps with a little co2 pressure? should there be a limited contact time with the keg, or can i even soak the keg for a bit to clean it (is it essentially a caustic cleaner, should be good against beerstone, etc.?)
I've just bought a submersible aquarium pump (£5.99), with 3/8 attachment built in, after getting the idea from Brulosophy.com. I can pump the cleaner round in a looped system for as long so want with no effort, for my mind it is better than using caustic cleaner in a pressurised system and just filling it and then letting it sit for a while.

See this for more the inspiration.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:08 pm

Quick question on this topic; I was wondering how long everyone leaves the cleaner in the line before pulling it through? I have an Angram beer engine set up with a non return valve, connected up to a pressure barrel. My question is when I draw the cleaner through, then how long should I leave it? I usually pull the pump handle halfway as this way I figure that there will still be some liner cleaner sitting in the lines and beer engine. I then generally leave it about 15 mins before I pull it through and then flush out with water. Is this long enough or should I be leaving it the lines for longer?

Cheers,

Adam

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:17 am

adamzworld wrote:Quick question on this topic; I was wondering how long everyone leaves the cleaner in the line before pulling it through? I have an Angram beer engine set up with a non return valve, connected up to a pressure barrel. My question is when I draw the cleaner through, then how long should I leave it? I usually pull the pump handle halfway as this way I figure that there will still be some liner cleaner sitting in the lines and beer engine. I then generally leave it about 15 mins before I pull it through and then flush out with water. Is this long enough or should I be leaving it the lines for longer?

Cheers,

Adam
The instructions on mine say to pull some cleaner through, leave for 15 minutes, then pull through more cleaner and to repeat for a maximum of an hour (I think). I also leave the pump handle halfway, though I try to leave it in a slightly different position for each each pass, so that the whole of the cylinder gets exposed to cleaner.

You can tell when the lines are clean as the stuff comes out with a greenish tinge if there is still gunk in there, but runs purple once all the muck is cleaned out.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter