Keg Set Up Questions

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Keg Set Up Questions

Post by vacant » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Dads_Ale wrote:they don't stink of lemonade.
You're right, I forgot that was the case when I got my cheapo ones from Ireland. :D
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks guys. I've ordered 2 x 30l Sankey's from Crusader. So let's see how I get on :?

I've watched a few you tube vids and the set up looks OK. However, if anyone has any sagely wisdom or tips and tricks - that would be warmly received. :D

Thanks again guys for all the help thus far

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Congratulations! I hope that you'll be pleased; its all personal choice as ever, but I wish these beer kegs had been about when I started out with kegs too - changing to them from the soda/corny kegs has been a bit more painful.

When they arrive you'll probably find the spears packed separately. If they're like mine, the top part of the spear has a sort of cage affair underneath, a bit like an inverted 3-legged spider with straight legs and splayed toes, this is the safety that prevents a spear being fired out if it is unscrewed whilst pressurised by people who don't know what they're doing. That can either be removed if the kegs are under your control, or for greater safety you can leave it there and use the '5p trick' each time to let you withdraw the spear.

There are descriptions of the 5p trick on here already (e.g. by Barneey), but basically just dropping a five pence piece in the top of the spear before attaching and closing a coupler is all thats needed. It causes the spear innards to be depressed that bit further than normal, which pulls the safety's toes in and lets the spear be withdrawn fully. And in so doing also ensures the keg has been vented if you forgot.

It may not make much sense now, but when you have the things to look at and try then IMO its really quite elegantly simple, as safety devices go.
Kev

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks Kev, you're a legend =D>

I may PM you if I get stuck with owt. I'm usually OK with these kind of things but that light be tempting fate....

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:17 am

Dads_Ale wrote:Ref Corny Kegs:

I have just bought 2 kegs off of this guy (see below) and they are top notch. In fact I don't think they have ever been used (at least the 2 I got). Also the seals have been replaced and they don't stink of lemonade.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231669464490? ... EBIDX%3AIT
That's Jonnyconga on here, if you pm him on here you may get a slight discount from avoiding the eBay fees.

naturals

Post by naturals » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Rick_UK wrote:Thanks guys. I've ordered 2 x 30l Sankey's from Crusader. So let's see how I get on :?
Mind if I ask how much they're charging at the minute?

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Prices are on their website. I've ordered 2 x 30l kegs at £54 + vat each (about £65)

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 pm

I've had a 30l crusader for sale for some time as I prefer the 20l