How long will the beer in my cornies keep for?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Bazz
Piss Artist

How long will the beer in my cornies keep for?

Post by Bazz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:30 am

Hi all, i've got two cornies of beer at the moment and was wondering how long they will keep for? They have been purged and then kept under pressure with CO2 at around 10psi. I did a google search which returned numbers from 8-10 weeks, to a year, not much help.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: How long will the beer in my cornies keep for?

Post by vacant » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:45 am

When I'm looking for yeast to harvest, clear bottles of Proper Job appear to have a "BBE" date a year from bottling and they must allow for room temperature storage. I recently kegged beer I won't be starting until March. I have five kegs but only room for two in the fridge.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Bazz wrote:Hi all, i've got two cornies of beer at the moment and was wondering how long they will keep for? They have been purged and then kept under pressure with CO2 at around 10psi. I did a google search which returned numbers from 8-10 weeks, to a year, not much help.
Until you have drunk the last drop
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Ages, depending on the beer style, same as in bottles or any other sealed and purged vessel. If you're talking wheat beers, or pale hoppy numbers, then you don't want long storage anyway. If it's darker, stronger beers, then ages, assuming normal good temperature/pressure control (when hooked up).

I've got an 8% stout that just keeps getting better a year on, and I'm sure you could go far longer than that.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Your google search probably wasn't far off the mark. A strong dark beer, kept reasonably cool, could be good for well over a year; its not unusual to make Russian Imperial Stouts around christmas time for the christmas after. Conversely, a light session beer that was filtered finely enough to remove the yeast and kept warm could start deteriorating in a few to several weeks. But it depends on how good the disinfecting and sterilising techniques are, as well as avoiding oxidation.

For normal beers of around 4.5%abv or above, unfiltered and kept at about 13c, I never had any problems within six months (it could have been longer, but they were usually drunk by then!). But beers change as they mature, plus hop aromas can dissipate - some styles may be preferred fresher than others, even though they can be kept for a long time before going off.
Kev

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks all, they should be fine for what i'm after i.e. keeping for another 5 weeks, ones a porter, and the other is a cream ale, both around 4.5% and both have been in the kegs for about 6 weeks already.