How much pressure?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

How much pressure?

Post by Manngold » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi all,

Simple one. How much pressure to serve beer from a fridge from corny with 3 meter of beer line and at 4-5 c. At the moment it is all coming out very very murky.

Thanks

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: How much pressure?

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Depends what diameter beer line you have mate.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:11 am

there are a few calculators online that you can use to work out. its more about how much line to use for the pressure you want to serve at though.
I always carbonate and serve at the same pressure, then you adjust the beer line diameter/length to suit or use a flow control tap

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:30 am

check the stickies for a kegging chart which with a kegfridge or similar temp control of the keg you can read off the ideal conditioning/serving pressure and temp for the style of beer you wish to emulate.
here is a link to a US source the chart stickied in here uses real temperatures (celcius hehe)
http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carb ... -chart.php
then to serve without fobbing (foaming) most of us employ a 4-6ft length of thin 3/16" microline between the keg and tap.

the thin bore line reduces the keg pressure along its length, the ideal being a nominal drop in pressure at the tap point, its a big drop in pressure at the tap that can stimulate the foam out or fobbing..

the thin line reduces at circa 1-2 psi per foot length closer to 1 psi for the 1st foot and progressively more with each extra foot..
fwiw i started with a 2m length and ended up using about 5ft on a tap which connects to a keg i serve from between 10-20 psi for fizzy beers ;) less conditioned ales i serve thru 3/8" line to flow control taps which work great upto circa 6-8Psi keg pressure after which they become a sod to zero in on the optimal setting needing a tweak every pour..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:56 am

Manngold wrote:Hi all,

Simple one. How much pressure to serve beer from a fridge from corny with 3 meter of beer line and at 4-5 c. At the moment it is all coming out very very murky.

Thanks
The pressure you are serving at shouldn't be making the beer murky, if the problem is murky beer then you need different answers.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer