Just had a panic over leaking gas!

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Jim
Site Admin

Just had a panic over leaking gas!

Post by Jim » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:48 pm

So I had my Xmas brew all gassed up ready for the big day, using my cobbled together cornie disconnect via plastic carbonator cap to plastic pressure barrel connector.

The only problem was, I couldn't get it to hold gas, despite cleaning, vaselining and tightening up all the seals till I was blue in the face. Soapy water failed to show any leaks around the valve joints so I was blaming the o-ring, but despite putting a new one on, no joy.

Eventually, I accidentally brushed soapy water against the side of the carbonator cap, and guess what? It had a minute crack in the body which was letting gas pee out. :evil:

I was stumped for a fix (don't want to buy another carbonator cap) but eventually came up with this solution using a JG to cornie disconnect fitting I had lying about. I was dead lucky to find a bolt that fitted it in my odds and sods box, and together with a couple of washers and seals I also had lying about, I think I've sorted it (at least it seems to be all holding pressure now).
top.jpg
bottom.jpg
connected.jpg

The only problem is that to change over from gassed-up to 'on the cask breather' I have to switch off the gas, take the pipes out of the JG fitting and blank off the one not in use. Once I buy a couple of taps should be OK though.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Re: Just had a panic over leaking gas!

Post by Dads_Ale » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Nice one Jim.

I did a similar thing using a JG Bulkhead connector.

I have found the carbonation caps to be problematic. One leaked like a sieve and another wouldn't accept the gas in disconnect.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Well done. At least you get to drink it gassed up. =D>

Doingatun
Piss Artist

Post by Doingatun » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Jim wrote: Eventually, I accidentally brushed soapy water against the side of the carbonator cap, and guess what? It had a minute crack in the body which was letting gas pee out. :evil:
Glad you got sorted, my blue US carbonator cap did exactly the same, didn't last long.
2016 10 Brews 422 Pints
2015 11 Brews 464 Pints
Total Brews 2006-to-date 149 = 6293 Pints

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Yeah, I've not been impressed by the carbonator cap at all. Even when it was 'OK' there was always a slow leak and it needed topping up every few days.

Much happier with the current arrangement and I've already ordered 2 JG taps so I can switch between 'store' and 'serve' easily. :)

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Just to wrap this one up, here's how it looks with the taps. :=P
taps.jpg
And the result is quite pleasing, if a bit hoppy.
pint.jpg

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter