Refurbished maxi 210 problems

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Refurbished maxi 210 problems

Post by Secla » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:46 pm

I purchased a refurbished maxi 210 from brewuk a pretty reputable supplier !
It came a bit dented and screws missing from the top panel but I looked passed this as it wasn't new, just tried using it and thought it seemed to be getting a bit warm, popped this lid off and found the fan wasn't running ! On closer investigation even if the fan motor did work the fan blades could never turn as it hits a copper pipe (pictured below)

Obviously there going to get a call on Monday, but can anyone see why that fan may even be in there ?
Attachments
IMG_4601.JPG

BenB

Re: Refurbished maxi 210 problems

Post by BenB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Presumably to blow air through the radiator shown in the photo? We should be generous of spirit and assume that's postal damage..... :( Must admit I wouldn't be overly impressed if I bought a reconditioned unit and it was bust and falling apart.
Last edited by BenB on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Secla

Post by Secla » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry I meant it appears to be the wrong fan, not what is the fan for

Pretty impossible for a internal fan blade to be uniformally bent so it's the wrong shape to clear other parts in the case
Looking at it I'd say it's been bought second hand and not even looked at or tested

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 pm

They might have just flushed it with cleaner and checked it got cold and not discovered the fact it was over-heating when on for a long time... Then again if the top was loose it suggests someone had a look at it (probably the old owner before chucking it)!!!

Secla

Post by Secla » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Yeh seems likely, there's a sticker on the outside saying repaired/reconditioned by ewl, but the python has an electrical safety check sticker from 2013 on it, the top just lifted off, no screws, I have found 1 inside the unit !

Just had a closer look the fan unit is definately not from this model ! The mounting for it looks a bit here me made and extra holes have been drilled in the case ! Also found some spare parts in the case !
Attachments
IMG_4602.JPG

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:21 am

Write a stinking email of complaint, to get it off your chest (and rightly so!) Then bin it and compose a much politer version making the assumption that this is 'one that slipped past' .

Include the pics you have posted here, and you might find it useful to include a line or two echoing the surprise and horror that this situation has received in the public brewing forums, and how your looking forward to posting a positive result.

I would expect a swift apology and replacement to be organised on return of your no good chiller, and i would also expect the return costs to be covered though you may have to wait for the return to take place and let them physically inspect the chiller on site..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 am

Crikey thats awful! I have no doubt brewuk will put it right swiftly though.

Secla

Post by Secla » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 am

I have no doubt brewuk will replace they have always been good to deal with an imagine this is more to do with who refurbished it for them ! I just can't fathom why this fan is in there as even if the motor did work the fan still couldn't turn.
Tbh the fan mount looks a little homemade and it's secured by 1 self tap screw, definitely not original to this machine

Has this sticker on although I have no idea who they are
Attachments
IMG_4604.JPG

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:44 am

Pretty major pub equipment supplier, would be surprised if they messed it up. http://www.ewlonline.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Just ring Greg, my experience is that they have excellent customer service and will probably be pretty horrified themselves and will be following up with their supplier with a few choice words.
EWL are usually on the ball as well so I wonder if this was a parting gift from a disgruntled leaving employee or just a genuine f£#k up with a maxi that wasn't actually processed yet.

Secla

Post by Secla » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeh that's all I can imagine, this one definately not been looked at
Last edited by Secla on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:33 pm

I've had coolers in the past from numerous sources with a so called reconditioned "tag", open the item up & normally the amount of dust & general crap will tell you if it been touched / reconditioned. If you get stuck for another motor or blade I have a few items that might fit.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)