Gas manifold recommendation?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Re: Gas manifold recommendation?

Post by donchiquon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:07 pm

alexlark wrote:What PSI can the 3/16 take?
Good question! It's the same material as the 3/8 line, and the pressures are low (sub 15 psi) so I've never worried about and plenty of other folk seem to use it.

I also wondered if there was any pressure loss over a length of line vs 3/8.

Either way it works like a treat!
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 pm

f00b4r wrote:[That is surprising but at least it gives you much better controller for any changes.
Agreed - now if I need to increase the pressure by only 0.5 psi on a line I can do it accurately.

quote="f00b4r"]I think with 3/8 you are much better using barbs and possibly stepped clamps on them to avoid sideways pressure issues.[/quote]

Possibly, although with 6 kegs inside the fridge I'm pretty tight for space and the tension on the 3/8 line was not good. Even with barbs I don't think it would be ideal.
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Do you have a pic of the inside, I am going to put in an extra shelf in mine and curious as to how you have done it?

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Here you go. You can see the 6 3/16 lines come in on the LH side just above the bottom kegs. I've only got 1 keg on top for the moment.
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Cheers, it's looking good. Is that just 9L kegs at the top?
I have a 9L corny and going to either get a couple 10L Sankey kegs or maybe another 9L corny for the top shelf so was thinking a similar setup, although considering just getting 3-4 stainless steel bits cut to the width of the shelves so there can be airflow through the fridge.
Like the tap badges as well :)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:23 pm

3/8 also seems to get more ridged when cold.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:45 pm

f00b4r wrote:Cheers, it's looking good. Is that just 9L kegs at the top?
I have a 9L corny and going to either get a couple 10L Sankey kegs or maybe another 9L corny for the top shelf so was thinking a similar setup, although considering just getting 3-4 stainless steel bits cut to the width of the shelves so there can be airflow through the fridge.
Like the tap badges as well :)
No, I got lucky with the fridge - it's a tall one so I can squeeze in 2 full size cornies up top. I've reinforced the ply shelf so I could cut airholes but the fridge has a perforated cooling pipe with a fan at the back so the top section gets the cold air, there is also an inch gap all the way along the back of the shelf which acts as a large vent. The temp probe is in the bottom section, and given that I only have one keg "on tap" up top the temp control is not so critical that it matters. I've also planned vents, but never needed to cut them.

The tap badges are always a bit of fun. I think that naming the beer is always a laugh. My Grandad was from Birmingham and I always remember as a kid that he would ask for a pint of Whacker. Explaining all the names to the French locals is always interesting....contrary to popular opinion most of them definitely like their ales!
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

alexlark wrote:3/8 also seems to get more ridged when cold.
Agreed - If I really needed to use 3/8 I would now buy silicone and barbs....but the 3/16 works so well I've not needed to look any further.
Ian