Gas manifold recommendation?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:08 pm

barneey wrote:Before anyone asked the question ;)

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=76608&hilit=board
Ahah!!!! Got it!

1/4 NPT vs 1/4 BSP.....will they mate?....

ÉDIT: the man from Google...he say no...."NPT/NPS and BSP threads are not compatible due to the differences in their thread forms, and not just the fact that most sizes have a different pitch. NPT/NPS threads have a 60° angle and have flattened peaks and valleys (Sellers thread form) where as BSP threads have a 55° angle and have rounded peaks and valleys (Whitworth thread form)."

Looks like I'm importing from the states :(

EDIT 2: Seems like not everyone on t'internet agrees (shock!) "You rarely need an adapter because NPT fittings work just fine with BSPP or BSPT

You may have been told you should not mix BSPP with BSPT or with NPT you can ignore this crap in low pressure systems,
say under 100psi, is a well safe margin"
Last edited by donchiquon on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

demig
Hollow Legs

Re: Gas manifold recommendation?

Post by demig » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm

There are some 1/4" npt 15psi gauges on ebay at the moment, come from China of course... about 4 quid delivered. I can't post the link for some reason but search and you'll find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:34 pm

demig wrote:There are some 1/4" npt 15psi gauges on ebay at the moment, come from China of course... about 4 quid delivered. I can't post the link for some reason but search and you'll find them.

I think I have them "water pressure gauge meter manometer" about £3.22.

Got to be worth a try! Thanks Demig!
Ian

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 am

donchiquon wrote:
demig wrote:There are some 1/4" npt 15psi gauges on ebay at the moment, come from China of course... about 4 quid delivered. I can't post the link for some reason but search and you'll find them.

Ordered a couple myself to try!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 am

demig wrote:
donchiquon wrote:

Ordered a couple myself to try!

We better order some loctite as well then Image

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Okay a little update on available manifolds that may help others.

As mentioned already the Krome manifolds require the American NTP gauges. However my plan was also to replace one of the outputs with a gas ball lock post, in order to enable me to setup my counter pressure tap quickly and easily. It wasn't until I gathered all of the parts that I realised the ball lock post fittings are BSP thread...doh!
There are manifolds available on AliExpress (Brewsmarter as the vendor) that use the BSP thread and plenty of BSP gauges available on eBay UK so I just now need to decide whether to modify my plan, whether to replace the manifolds/gauges with BSP ones (if this latter I may have some unused Krome manifolds with appropriate gauges for sale soon) or use an adapter on those outputs.

Hopefully this info will save others a little pain though :)

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:20 pm

f00b4r wrote:Okay a little update on available manifolds that may help others.

As mentioned already the Krome manifolds require the American NTP gauges. However my plan was also to replace one of the outputs with a gas ball lock post, in order to enable me to setup my counter pressure tap quickly and easily. It wasn't until I gathered all of the parts that I realised the ball lock post fittings are BSP thread...doh!
There are manifolds available on AliExpress (Brewsmarter as the vendor) that use the BSP thread and plenty of BSP gauges available on eBay UK so I just now need to decide whether to modify my plan, whether to replace the manifolds/gauges with BSP ones (if this latter I may have some unused Krome manifolds with appropriate gauges for sale soon) or use an adapter on those outputs.

Hopefully this info will save others a little pain though :)
I wonder if there is a BSP to BSPT adapter that might help you out....

I've got two Krome manifolds and two BSPT gauges arriving this week - I've been assured by a couple of sources that BSPT should work with NPT at low pressures.

I'll let you know how I get on!
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 pm

I was having a look last night Krome also do some replacement valves with MFL ends rather than barbs but MTP (male NTP) to female BSP adapters are readily available for a few quid so will probably go that route.
I would be interested to see what happens with you and the two different threads as I have seen a few places state not to try and mix them, although I guess for anyone starting form scratch it would be easier to go the AliExpress route for the manifold and then just pick up BSP gauges.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:59 pm

donchiquon wrote:I've got two Krome manifolds and two BSPT gauges arriving this week - I've been assured by a couple of sources that BSPT should work with NPT at low pressures.

I'll let you know how I get on!
All has arrived. The BSPT gauges fit the NPT female threads very nicely - I can get 4 full turns on one manifold and 3 on the other. This is plenty for low pressure applications (I have been told!).

I'm going to loctite them in this weekend.

Make sure you use a sharp knife or bradawl to remove all the loctite from the female thread on the manifold. Mine took a good five minutes to wheedle out and prior to doing this I could only get 2 turns on the thread!

Edit: All set with loctite - I'll let you know how the leak test goesImage
Last edited by donchiquon on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Interesting, I will be looking forward to seeing the results of the leak test once they've had the Loctite put on.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:35 pm

All set up - no leaks at all. Huge improvement over the JG crows feet! (Despite looking like something out of à Jules Verne novel)
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Good news on the leak test :D
Yes it does look very cyberpunk! I'm still debating whether to switch to 3/16 line for the gas but I guess that might depend on whether i mount internally or externally in the end.
Are you finding it much easier to set pressure now?

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:05 pm

f00b4r wrote:Good news on the leak test :D
Yes it does look very cyberpunk! I'm still debating whether to switch to 3/16 line for the gas but I guess that might depend on whether i mount internally or externally in the end.
Are you finding it much easier to set pressure now?
Yup, very happy with the end result. Will make controlling everything much easier e.g., diagnosing a leaking keg, isolating them etc

Ironically the low pressure gauges have shown me that the pressures that I was trying to set on the 80 psi gauges were spot on! Not what I was expecting!

Changing to 3/16 stopped a lot of my leaks caused by the JG fittings leaking because of the sideways pressure from the stiff 3/8 line.
Ian

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:03 pm

What PSI can the 3/16 take?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:40 pm

donchiquon wrote:Ironically the low pressure gauges have shown me that the pressures that I was trying to set on the 80 psi gauges were spot on! Not what I was expecting!

Changing to 3/16 stopped a lot of my leaks caused by the JG fittings leaking because of the sideways pressure from the stiff 3/8 line.
That is surprising but at least it gives you much better controller for any changes.

I think with 3/8 you are much better using barbs and possibly stepped clamps on them to avoid sideways pressure issues.