Crusader keg spear

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
captain caveman
Sober

Crusader keg spear

Post by captain caveman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 pm

So, I was lucky enough to receive a 20l crusader keg from some guys at work (leaving gift!) I have really struggled to remove the safety as the end of the spear had been flattened. It was not postal damage as all packaging was undamaged, and it was to perfect to be anything other than deliberate.

It didn't stop me getting the safety off, but wondering if anyone else has seen it, and if its a deliberate tactic to "stop" removal of the safety.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Crusader keg spear

Post by jaroporter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 am

Nope don't think i seen it, but to be honest not quite sure what you mean, any chance of a picture?
dazzled, doused in gin..

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 pm

My spears (which came with crusader kegs) had some minor dents in and lots of scratches on even though BrewUK had bubble-wrapped them carefully and sent in boxes that hadn't been damaged. So I assume that the spears may not be treated/packed especially well at some point prior to BrewUK's more careful dispatch.

But non of them had flattened ends and they were purchased only a few months ago, so either yours has had a bigger ding or its a new innovation. My guess would be the former, given what I mentioned above, although the spears and safety's have changed from time to time so without knowing better I wouldn't entirely discount either.

FWIW my spears had the cage kind of safety that responds well to the 5p trick to disengage and withdraw. Thats so easy that I decided to leave the safeties intact - its not impossible that some young relative could naughtily tinker and hurt themselves.
Kev

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:41 pm

I find the 5p method so easy I don't bother removing them

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:52 am

I found a hacksaw was so easy I didn't bother with the 5p trick.

If the OP could post some pictures we might be able to help.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am

With the 3-legged cage-type safeties you don't even need to saw anything to remove them (with non-flattened dip tubes anyway). They will just pop out using something slightly thicker than a 5p (and maybe a bit of leverage from a screwdriver) and can then be put back again if wished - though its a bit fiddly to do so.

I tried both ways and ultimately left mine intact simply through choice; for me, it causes no bother and makes it safer should someone else in the family fiddle. I believe some of the other types of safety don't disengage with a 5p and can be a real bugger though; I'd probably have removed those fairly quickly.
Kev

captain caveman
Sober

Post by captain caveman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm

The spear is fitted now, and has been rounded out as much as i could. It just seamed strange that the last inch was crushed so uniformly that you couldn't slide the cage type safety off the end. It looked to uniform to be accidental in the post. Could be coincidence but there were no other marks or dings on anything else in the box. Either way the safety is off, so its a none issue, just wondered if others had it and it may be a new way of removing the ability to bypass the safety.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:52 pm

If this is something new, then I'm sure time will tell - others will no doubt report it. It doesn't sound insurmountable though, so thats good news whatever the reason behind it.

I hope you enjoy the new keg. It took me a little while to adjust from using cornies, but I've been very pleased with mine so far.
Kev