How many kegs do you have in your keezer/kegerator?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Rad

How many kegs do you have in your keezer/kegerator?

Post by Rad » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:24 pm

I've been looking for a chest freezer for a long while. I've given up on finding a cheap second hand one so I started visiting local appliance stores. I haven't found one that can hold 6 kegs without wasting too much space.

Now I found a "cheap" ex-display freezer. The problem is that it's big. It can hold 8 kegs and still have a bit more space left for some bottles.

So to all owners, how many kegs does your joy hold? Do you find it too much, not enough or just right? Do you have a tap for every keg inside?

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: How many kegs do you have in your keezer/kegerator?

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Mines can fit ;

4 x 19L Corny x 9L Corny
or
2 x 20L Crusader + 2 x 19L Corny+ 2 x 9L Corny

I only own 1 xL Corny andternate using the 19L's and Crusaders. I try to keep it full as I like to store lagers in there and condition before bottling some as well as having a couple on tap. The ones on tap I may keep in there for their lifetime or other times bottle some and transfer the rest to the 9L, all depends on how I am stocked, what I have planned etc.

I am aging a R.I.S. in the Crusader by natural carbonation for a few months and also plan to do the same in my other one with a planned Tripel so sticking to Corny's only now in the keezer. I find 4 full size batches at once is enough as I can bottle the rest and keep them in the spare fridge if need be, also allows me to take them elsewhere, share etc

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:26 pm

I can get 6 23l cornies and a pin in mine, but that is very crowded. Typically I will have 4 in there with 4 taps and my Pegas bottle filler. I have to leave a space for anything I force carb and to ensure I can move kegs around to accommodate one carbing or hooking up to the Pegas CPF having no more than 4 with one carbing is the real maximum. If you have the space I would still go for the size you mention.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Norfrost chest freezer, 60x60cm holds 4 std cornies (not the shorter fat type) mostly have 2 kegs in it, but on the odd occasion 3/4. 1tap and CPBF. But I also have a fridge for the FV. It works for me. But I could do with fitting another tap on the keezer
To Busy To Add,

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Five 19L cornies and 5 taps. Leaves a corny sized space for the heater/fans/initial gas pipe runs and few bottles.

Five is more beer than I need on tap except when I have guests.

Taps are on the short end as the keezer is in the shed and they would get in the way otherwise.

I would have gone bigger if I had found an appropriate freezer on Gumtree (mine was a £50 Norfrost 86cm ones, and after weeks of waiting), but only so that the gas bottle would fit inside and maybe a few more bottles.
Fermenting: Nowt
Conditioning: Black Cross Stout
Drinking: GW London Porter, 'Use it Up' Bitter

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:00 pm

2014-09-05 19.46.25.jpg
Hi there
I can get 6 cornies in at a push. 5 no problem
Regards
Patch

Raize
Steady Drinker

Post by Raize » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Six and a gas cylinder.

It is a very old freezer, the walls are not very thick.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:38 pm

i feel inadequate - just the two 23L cornies for me
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

phil.dadd
Steady Drinker

Post by phil.dadd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:20 pm

I can fit 3 + a dumpy gas bottle in mine, usually only have two kegs (crusader 20L) in there though. Have two taps. Don't really drink enough to have more than that, even then a keg lasts a couple of months.

I do have another chest freezer with temp control, and two fridges with temp control in the garage, should I need to condition anything though.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:Norfrost chest freezer, 60x60cm holds 4 std cornies (not the shorter fat type) mostly have 2 kegs in it, but on the odd occasion 3/4. 1tap and CPBF. But I also have a fridge for the FV. It works for me. But I could do with fitting another tap on the keezer
Do you have a collar on it?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rad

Post by Rad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Thank you all. Well I've bitten the bullet and bought the freezer. I've decided that I'll build it as a self contained unit. All the gas work will be kept inside. If I can make the outer shell pretty enough it'll find a nice space in a corner of my living room.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:09 pm

2x50l + 4 x 20l + Gas Bottle + 2x4 packs + Gas Man Board.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Jocky wrote:
Wonkydonkey wrote:Norfrost chest freezer, 60x60cm holds 4 std cornies (not the shorter fat type) mostly have 2 kegs in it, but on the odd occasion 3/4. 1tap and CPBF. But I also have a fridge for the FV. It works for me. But I could do with fitting another tap on the keezer
Do you have a collar on it?
Yeh, 6 1/2inch coller and the gas is outside, it makes life better as I like to turn it off , and up and down the pressure as well as for force carbing,
To Busy To Add,