Storage in Cornie

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
bobbytinner

Storage in Cornie

Post by bobbytinner » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 pm

I have just bought my first cornie keg and have not yet acquired the CO2 bottle, lines or taps, etc. I have a brew ready to bottle or keg but my keg set-up is obviously not ready yet. Is there any way I could I put the beer in the cornie to store before pressurizing later? I am thinking not as I would need to prime and the dead cells would fall to the bottom causing an issue near the draw pipe.
Any advice welome
Bobbytinner

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Re: Storage in Cornie

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Your main worry is oxygen in the keg and this will spoil your beer, it will be stale.

You could transfer and batch prime in the keg, this will carbonate and condition your beer. When serving you will have to chuck the first couple of pints

BenB

Post by BenB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:41 pm

Yes, do a little batch prime just enough to create enough CO2 to blow any air out of the headspace via the gas-in port.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 am

if you prime the keg like for bottling then you've got no more oxidation worry than if you were bottling (and no less, obviously). if you transfer to the keg once the beer has already cleared you may not have to worry about much yeast sediment in the keg at all.

the main concern for me would be that i believe a lot of (most?) corny kegs need positive pressure inside in order for the lid to seal properly, which you'd obviously be lacking until the beer carbonated..
dazzled, doused in gin..

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:25 am

jaroporter wrote:if you prime the keg like for bottling then you've got no more oxidation worry than if you were bottling (and no less, obviously). if you transfer to the keg once the beer has already cleared you may not have to worry about much yeast sediment in the keg at all.

the main concern for me would be that i believe a lot of (most?) corny kegs need positive pressure inside in order for the lid to seal properly, which you'd obviously be lacking until the beer carbonated..
I wouldn't worry, it should seal fairly quickly and the yeast will scavenge any oxygen that gets in.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:05 pm

My experience with older cornies is that they frequently don't seal properly without an initial blast of gas to create pressure, so the gas from priming can leak away instead of building up. However as a one-off you may be able to give it special attention, or if its a new one then it will likely just work.

Generally yeast sediment in the bottom isn't a great issue (within reason), the first pint or so drawn off will clear it from around the tube. Or you can shorten (or carefully bend/bow) the dip tube to leave some dead-space.
Kev

bobbytinner

Post by bobbytinner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. The beer is a very Pale Summer beer at 3.8%. I've not come across batch priming before. How much Corn Sugar? The keg is a reconditioned unit.
Thanks

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Sort out a co2 bottle asap ;) meanwhile get an ebay bulb 'party' corny co2 supplier, by far the most expensive option but a single bulb should provide sufficient initial pressure to seal an older keg,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Keg-Charg ... SwXyVYJWNe

edit ** not an endorsement of the seller its just the first ebay spat out ;)
the trick is to not clamp down the lid but use the cage as a handle and lift the keg off the ground an inch or 2 using the full kegs mass to squeeze down on the lid oring before you apply a squirt of co2 to ensure the seal ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(