Serving with maxi cooler

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Serving with maxi cooler

Post by Secla » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Trying to set up serving from a maxi cooler but looking for some tips !
Kegs are stores at room temperature, 5/16 line from keg to cooler and 1/4 line from cooler to intertap flow control tap ! I'm getting excessive foaming. Thinking I should turn down serving pressure but worried it will cause beer to lose carbonation over time.

Anyone using a similar setup with success ?

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Serving with maxi cooler

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:03 pm

yes its a nightmare with big line. I ended up buying 3/16 line and putting a couple of feet (might have been 3 or 4) right near the tap going to a stub 8mm line of around 3" so it fit in the tap , but i should really source a stem reducer to minimize parts. I was serving at around 12psi and would get a nice pint of lager with good carbonation for that. Ive dismantled it atm or id post a picture

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Serving with maxi cooler

Post by Fil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:53 pm

check the agitator or recirc pump is working ok, without either of these the chillers performance takes a big hit.

sounds as if your trying to use the chiller to recondition the beer on its way to the tap if stored warm. In which case Perhaps use large bore 3/8" beer line to connect the chiller to the keg and run the pressure restricting 3/16" microline post chillier before the tap. this should both balance off the keg pressure and reduce the flow speed so the beer stays in the chiller reconditioning a lil longer. While not reducing pressure before the chiller to allow maximum reconditioning to occur in the product coils

a large volume drip tray will also allow you to skim off excess foam as you pour 'ala le continent'

I use the coolest spot i can for my keg store which means i only NEED the shelf chiller come June onward as a rule..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(