Crusader vs Cornie

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Crusader vs Cornie

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:02 pm

davew wrote:Looking further into this it looks like you need a regulator with a PRV as the crusader kegs don't have one. Does anybody have a link to something suitable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ebay to the rescue...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Regulator ... 1809690744

however imho you dont NEED a regulator prv, there is also the option of loosening the co2 fitting on the coupler which will break the duck-bill seal and bleed off some pressure.

In fact in order to vent a keg via the regulators prv you will also need to remove the duck bill one way valve from the gas in port of the keg coupler, However You can source US style keg couplers with built in prv's which is a superior solution imho.

Also if keeping in a keg fridge and not over conditioned with pressure, then you wont have much need to vent the keg beyond the initial fill and vent of trapped air..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:06 pm

All primary regulators used for pressurising lines and beer kegs should really have inbuilt PRVs. There may be some that are designed for other purposes which dont though, so yes its good to be aware if one is being misused. PRVs aren't completely simple - they need to be able to dump fast enough, as well as at excess pressures, or the pressure can still build up

I'm not totally convinced that even some regulators with PRVs are ideal for beer kegs, such as those intended for soda/corny kegs, as the release pressure is very high. But thankfully beer kegs have a pretty good margin for safety over their design pressure, so they are likely ok in practice.

There are (usually imported) couplers available with PRVs, which would be nice in any case but are doubly important if the regulator has none (or an excessively rated one). Most british/cheap/used ones don't though, they tend to rely on the correct regulator setup.
Kev

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:07 pm

not a recommendation of the seller just an example..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-S-Sankey-D- ... Sw5dNWj~EZ

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 pm

bobsbeer wrote:you need to ask yourself why has the commercial brewery trade adopted keg type systems, whether that be one of the many connections such as sankey etc, but all adopt the same spear type system.
The soft drinks barons moved away from cornie's by exodus (to name one reason) because landlords were able to open the lids and use "unofficial" syrups on their branded soda systems (hence the corny lids have a small bracket giving them the ability to be zip tied or padlocked shut.) Moving to non-returnable bag in box syrup systems instead.
I imagine a similar mentality / adulteration lead to the pre-CAMRA decline in cask beers. For Mild I heard it was common practice to tip the drip trays (any any other left over beer) back into the keg. Totally legal until the early 90's.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fil

Post by Fil » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Frothy wrote:
bobsbeer wrote:you need to ask yourself why has the commercial brewery trade adopted keg type systems, whether that be one of the many connections such as sankey etc, but all adopt the same spear type system.
The soft drinks barons moved away from cornie's by exodus (to name one reason) because landlords were able to open the lids and use "unofficial" syrups on their branded soda systems (hence the corny lids have a small bracket giving them the ability to be zip tied or padlocked shut.) Moving to non-returnable bag in box syrup systems instead.
I imagine a similar mentality / adulteration lead to the pre-CAMRA decline in cask beers. For Mild I heard it was common practice to tip the drip trays (any any other left over beer) back into the keg. Totally legal until the early 90's.

One boozer i visited in Manchester in the 80's openly sold 'SLOPS Shandy ' as a cheap drink, all the drip trays drained into a slops bucket and end of shift it would get emptied into the slops barrel ready for serving the following day. I was shocked by the brazenness of it round our way there were rumors of certain landlords who would do this sort of thing but most made an open show of regularly emptying drip trays and openly disposing of it along with ashtray emptying and glass clearing.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Frothy wrote:

I didn't mean why soft drink people changed. They went to plastic bag systems, but beer brewers. Home brewers moved into cornies when they were plentiful and cheap plus the 19lt size was perfect for a brew and a few bottles. However cornies are not cheap anymore due to home brewery demand which makes the superior sankey type kegs a feasible option. With the 20 lt size it's a no brainer.

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:48 pm

slops shandy! Sounds like a punishment drink. All helps the margins