Beer Engine Sparkler on a Cornie Keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Chunk1234
Piss Artist

Beer Engine Sparkler on a Cornie Keg

Post by Chunk1234 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I've got a standard cornie keg setup with party taps.

Has anyone ever rigged up something to force beer through a sparkler on its way into the glass with a setup like this? I know it's often done with cornie kegs and beer engines, that's not what I mean. I also know it would have to be a pretty Heath Robinson contraption. I'm just thinking that someone smart out there has probably done something like this before already.

Something along the lines of a length of beer line jammed on to the end of the party tap with the sparkler somehow connected at the other end.

(This is what I mean by a sparkler, just for clarity:
sparkler.jpg
sparkler.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
).

Cheers.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Beer Engine Sparkler on a Cornie Keg

Post by jaroporter » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

why not use a creamflow tap (with the restrictor plate)? would that not do the same thing neater?

EDIT to add:

if it's the visual spraying effect you're after, i don't know if it's a standard thread on the beer engine, but you could always get a cheap spare swanneck and cut it down, using a bit of tube and jubilee clip on the other end from the thread
dazzled, doused in gin..

kev93_10
Piss Artist

Post by kev93_10 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:45 am

Pushing carbonated beer through a sparkler will create a beer foam.

I would advise creamflow tap or standard cornie tap.

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Fri May 05, 2017 7:08 am

They are creamers, not sparklers.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Chunk1234
Piss Artist

Post by Chunk1234 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 am

Kyle_T wrote:They are creamers, not sparklers.
Same thing, no? I know some people refer to sparklers with smaller holes as "creamers", but they're under the "sparkler" family to me.
kev93_10 wrote:Pushing carbonated beer through a sparkler will create a beer foam.
Pulling carbonated beer through a sparkler doesn't though. Surely if you got the carbonation of the beer right you'd be fine. That's how it's working at the moment in any pub selling cask beer through a sparkler surely?

Thanks for the replies.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 am

creamflow beers work on the same principle as cask ale with a sparkler - low carbonation pushed through restrictor = creamy flat beer.
doing it with a carbed up ipa or lager would be a recipe for disaster though
dazzled, doused in gin..

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 am

Chunk1234 wrote:
Kyle_T wrote:They are creamers, not sparklers.
Same thing, no? I know some people refer to sparklers with smaller holes as "creamers", but they're under the "sparkler" family to me.
This is a sparkler:

This is a creamer:

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Fri May 05, 2017 10:24 am

Hi Chunk

When I bought (won) a bargain "beer-engine" from a seller on eBay (who said they had retrieved it as part of a pub clearance, and judging by the description, didn't have a clue what they had), what actually arrived was a Mason Shakespeare Dispense Unit (link). The page on the Mason's website has changed recently, and it now only describes the purpose of this for in "pumped systems", but it used to also mention pressurised (keg) systems.

Basically, this is a tap connected to a hand-pull, that opens the tap when the lever is pulled, and lets pumped/pressurised beer flow through the swan neck (with or without sparkler/creamer) fitted ... admittedly, I don't have cornies, I connect my handpull up to a (basic) pressure barrel (like Jim describes over on that thread (link)) and found that, because I had one of these cylinderless units rather than a "proper" beer engine, I didn't need a check valve ... however, the beer does end up a lot more "cask like" after being served through this setup ... and I'm sure connecting up a corny would be similar to a PB, in principle :?

I don't know if this helps you solve your "problem" ... but it does demonstrate that there is someone out there that has done this before, so the "problem" can be solved :?

Cheers, PhilB

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Mon May 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Doesn't a creamer need a high pressure from nitrogen to work?

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

rpt wrote:Doesn't a creamer need a high pressure from nitrogen to work?
... I don't want to get dragged into the debate about whether to call the things creamers or sparklers ... but the things that Chunk originally referred to as sparklers ... the things that look like that ...
joe1002 wrote:This is a creamer:
... that Angram, who make them, seem to call "Sparklers" (link) :? ... I sometimes connect one of those to the end of the swan neck on my handpull and have no difficulty serving through that with (only) the pressure from a Pressure Barrel.
Chunk1234 wrote:Surely if you got the carbonation of the beer right you'd be fine.
... like you say, I think that's going to be the key :?

Cheers, PhilB