Beer engine

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Beer engine

Post by m_rawdin » Sun May 07, 2017 10:25 pm

I just wondered if anyone uses a beer engine to dispense their beer and what they store the beer in to serve through the beer engine? I was thinking of using a polypin?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Beer engine

Post by Eric » Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 pm

No problems with polypins from what I've heard.
I use plastic barrels of various types. The only problem I know with them is with weaker types. If there is no pressure inside the barrel then it is possible to implode and crack the casing. I've done that once.
Pop over to see mine if you wish.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 am

Ah good, stuff, yeah i was thinking something that will collapse as you draw the beer off to avoid cracking etc. I've seen a couple of posts about people using their corny kegs but polypins sounds like a better option. Yeah be good to see your set up at some point and see how you do it.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 am

I used to use my beer engine with polypins. It works well provided you drink all the beer within about 4 weeks. The polypins let oxygen through so the beer goes off. I now use Sankey kegs with the beer engine.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 am

I've used a polypin in the past and they work well. Only trouble is you can lose a lot of the condition if you don't drink the lot in a fairly short space of time.

These days I use a home brew plastic keg with a modified lid that connects to a cask breather and CO2 bottle. Between sessions I gas it back up to about 5 or 6 psi and it holds its condition for at least a month. Obviously I have to vent the keg prior to a session, so it uses up quite a bit of gas if you only have a couple of pints, but it's the most practical way I've found of using my beer engine for occasional drinking rather than just for big sessions such as parties.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Mon May 08, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm only going to use my beer engine for parties really as I generally use corny kegs for storing my beer.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 pm

imho you can serve an adiquate attempt at a hand pulled pint from a corny with a nominal 2-4psi or as low as you can set pressure @ 11-13c through 3/8" line direct to a flow control tap.

even so my camra loyal pal always tuts under his breath as i pour him a pint, no complaints once in his mits tho..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed May 10, 2017 10:57 pm

I use a hand pump and polypin all the time. As has been said there are a few limitations. It will only last a few weeks but that's not a problem for me. You want the proper polypins not the thinner bag in box.

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 am

Does anyone know a good place to buy them from? I saw these on love brewing

http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/20-litre-polypin/

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 am

That's what I use.

CaptAwol
Tippler

Post by CaptAwol » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 pm

I use polypins with a beer engine, I get my bags from here they also have the connectors for the taps, so they are easily disconnected after a session
http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/beer.html

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat May 13, 2017 9:47 am

I came across a quite extensive publication which has a big section on "Beer Engines". You can find it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwzEv ... DNPdmV1bWc
It's written by some guy in Wales who obviously has too much time on his hands. Err... I think that'll be me.

~~~~~

Actually, this is my first post on this site and the site was recommended to me as somewhere that may generate some more critical reviews. Reviews of the last section ("Tweaks") is what I'd be after as I'm a bit in the dark with that (I don't use "mixed gas" with beer engines, but I know people do). The whole thing is an alternative to using "polypins" which are getting a lot of recommendation in this thread (it uses the likes of "Corny" kegs).

Advantages using this method? Well I was drinking beer kegged 5 months ago last night... it's been on the same hand pump all that time. Polypins give you four to six weeks at best.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat May 13, 2017 10:17 am

PeeBee wrote:I came across a quite extensive publication which has a big section on "Beer Engines". You can find it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwzEv ... DNPdmV1bWc
It's written by some guy in Wales who obviously has too much time on his hands. Err... I think that'll be me.

~~~~~

Actually, this is my first post on this site and the site was recommended to me as somewhere that may generate some more critical reviews. Reviews of the last section ("Tweaks") is what I'd be after as I'm a bit in the dark with that (I don't use "mixed gas" with beer engines, but I know people do). The whole thing is an alternative to using "polypins" which are getting a lot of recommendation in this thread (it uses the likes of "Corny" kegs).

Advantages using this method? Well I was drinking beer kegged 5 months ago last night... it's been on the same hand pump all that time. Polypins give you four to six weeks at best.
HI PeeBee, I've just skimmed through that article, but from what I've picked up, it seems and excellent and useful piece. Nice one.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

1300s
Sober

Post by 1300s » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 am

[quote=Jim post_id=815903 time=1494230308 user_id=2]
These days I use a home brew plastic keg with a modified lid that connects to a cask breather and CO2 bottle.
[/quote]
Apologies for the thread resurrection on my first post!

Jim, do you have any pictures of your modified lid and breather? I'm a newbie planning something similar and looking for inspiration :)

Thanks,

Michael

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 am

1300s wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 am
Jim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 am
These days I use a home brew plastic keg with a modified lid that connects to a cask breather and CO2 bottle.
Apologies for the thread resurrection on my first post!

Jim, do you have any pictures of your modified lid and breather? I'm a newbie planning something similar and looking for inspiration :)

Thanks,

Michael
Hi Michael, I'll take a few pics when I get the chance. It's on the keg at the moment, so it'll be external only.

EDIT:
be1.jpg
be2.jpg

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter