Transporting kegs and chilling kegs…

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
46philh
Piss Artist

Transporting kegs and chilling kegs…

Post by 46philh » Fri May 19, 2017 3:12 pm

I am transporting 4 corny kegs and have 24 hours for them to settle. Will that be long enough ?
Yeast used was white labs 002, us-o5 and a safale s-04. Two of them were cold crashed and gelatine before transferring to the kegs.

Should I draw a pint off first before transporting? (re-gas up for good seal after) . I could transfer between kegs using the Out and then back down the out post on the second keg method (not tried before!) but only if I really have to as only got 1 spare kegs and prefer just to leave the kegs untouched now.
I can only chill 2 kegs at a time but will be taking my fridge to the venue.

Any idea how long it takes to chill a keg down in a domestic fridge and how long it would take them to heat up from say 3c to room temperature.
Wondering if it is worth chilling 2 kegs right down to say 3c before I take them (10 minute drive away) and just leave them out of the fridge serve those first 24 hours later. Put the other two in the fridge chill down from room temperature for 24 hours.

They will be served via 2 beer engines.

What carbonation level should the beer be before it is served (without any gas) by a beer engine ?

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Transporting kegs and chilling kegs…

Post by Jambo » Fri May 19, 2017 4:09 pm

In my experience 24 hrs isn't usually enough, but your idea to draw off a pint before you move them is great, I'll try that myself next time.

Good luck!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Ideally, the beer needs be carefully transferred to another keg using a 'jumper', after going bright. Gelatine actually makes matters worse, if the keg is transported, because it prevents yeast and other debris from packing down solid. Loose slurry is what you'll have in the bottom of the kegs at the moment. So, if you only have 4 kegs, you need to drink a keg quite quickly :D

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 pm

002 - it'll take a hellova rough journey to unstick this yeast from the bottom of a keg. upside down with regular driving over potholes maybe..
us05 - this will be hazy whatever :wink:

no worries then.. :D

in seriousness, I don't think drawing off a pint will help any. all that does is remove the sediment directly around the diptube. which will not be a huge percentage of the total, so as soon as it's shaken up it'll resettle in the same way as before and more importantly in the same time period as if you hadn't bothered.
I reckon the best (what I do, at least) is, as McMullan suggests, jump the bright beer to an empty keg. if you draw off that first pint here to remove the sediment around the diptube, then none should get transferred across to the new keg.

but i'm happy to be proved wrong so let us know if you do!

regards temperature, I'd probably agree with chilling as cold as possible before transporting. also, tap water comes out not far off ideal cellar temperature so chucking the keg in a bin filled with that when you serve would keep it optimal for quite a while (increased thermal mass also). but temp control on mobile beer drinking is always gonna be ballpark rather than ideal. if the carbonation is sorted beforehand it's not gonna mess up too much because it was slightly warmer/colder for a few hours
dazzled, doused in gin..

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

jaroporter wrote: in seriousness, I don't think drawing off a pint will help any. all that does is remove the sediment directly around the diptube. which will not be a huge percentage of the total, so as soon as it's shaken up it'll resettle in the same way as before
Valid, I retract my earlier statement!

46philh
Piss Artist

Post by 46philh » Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for your help really appreciate it. I think I will jump the bright beer between kegs.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 am

If you cold crashed before kegging I would think there is a good chance the beer is bright enough to not worry about it to much, am also interested to find out please let us know how it is.