Party tap on a pressure barrel

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Rowang

Party tap on a pressure barrel

Post by Rowang » Wed May 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Planning on serving 5 beers for my wedding from pressure barrels. They were kegged when clear into white PBs, primed and fined.

They will be served with gravity (i.e. I'm going to take the cap off on the day to serve)

I don't trust my guests not to disturb the sediment when serving- does anyone have experience of ways round this?

I wondered about cheap party taps on siphon tubing so that beer can be dispensed without touching the tubes. Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts what I could do otherwise?

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Party tap on a pressure barrel

Post by FUBAR » Wed May 24, 2017 2:18 pm

The best option would if possible to connect them up to beer engines ?.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Rowang

Post by Rowang » Wed May 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Budget won't allow I'm afraid.. and it's in 2 weeks, so no time to arrange!

I figured if the tap were below the barrel it would dispense, but what about foam? I would attach the tube to the taps with hose clamps to prevent air leaks

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Wed May 24, 2017 3:54 pm

In that case I would just loosen the caps and use the taps that are fitted to the barrel.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Rowang wrote:Budget won't allow I'm afraid.. and it's in 2 weeks, so no time to arrange!

I figured if the tap were below the barrel it would dispense, but what about foam? I would attach the tube to the taps with hose clamps to prevent air leaks
As soon as the cap is cracked and the pressure has equalised with the atmosphere it will foam less as the pressure inside the barrell has been released. The only foaming now will come from the conditioning in the beer. If that is very high dip glasses in water first or store them and the beer cold. The drum taps on PB's are dreadful, when I has PB'sI swapped mine out for Dalex taps but that will have to be for next time. Unless it is a really hot day you should be OK, if it is use wet towels to drape over the barrels, convection cooling will help.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer