Bubbles in keg line

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Re: Bubbles in keg line

Post by Dads_Ale » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 am

I am not convinced this is due to over carbonation. If you have two lines could you swap over to the other line and see if it still happens?

I had a similar issue with one of my beer lines, loads of foam and you could hear the gas going though the beer tap (I use old Newquay Steam beer taps mounted on the bar). This was the same over 3 different kegs, which I swapped to the other line without an issue, so not due to over carbonation.
I have a couple of metres of beer line outside the fridge and this does warm up and cause a bit of foam for the first 1/3 pint until the line cools (they are insulated).

Eventually I replaced the tap assembly with a spare (I have lots of Newquay Steam beer taps :D ) and this solved the problem immediately. I stripped the old one down but didn't see anything obvious but it may have been sticking causing a restriction that allowed the dissolved gas in the beer to turn into foam.

Regarding pressure gauges you can put some inline that allow you to check pressure real time, all the time. I find these a real godsend as the gas manifold gauges are a bit hit and miss.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Dads_Ale wrote:I am not convinced this is due to over carbonation. If you have two lines could you swap over to the other line and see if it still happens?

I had a similar issue with one of my beer lines, loads of foam and you could hear the gas going though the beer tap (I use old Newquay Steam beer taps mounted on the bar). This was the same over 3 different kegs, which I swapped to the other line without an issue, so not due to over carbonation.
I have a couple of metres of beer line outside the fridge and this does warm up and cause a bit of foam for the first 1/3 pint until the line cools (they are insulated).

Eventually I replaced the tap assembly with a spare (I have lots of Newquay Steam beer taps :D ) and this solved the problem immediately. I stripped the old one down but didn't see anything obvious but it may have been sticking causing a restriction that allowed the dissolved gas in the beer to turn into foam.

Regarding pressure gauges you can put some inline that allow you to check pressure real time, all the time. I find these a real godsend as the gas manifold gauges are a bit hit and miss.

Dads_Ale wrote:I am not convinced this is due to over carbonation. If you have two lines could you swap over to the other line and see if it still happens?

The gauge that I recommended is more accurate as it has a full scale deflection of 0-15 pounds whereas yours
go from 0-60 plus the Malt Miller one automatically maintains a set pressure when it is connected.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:28 pm

also i seem to recall a similar mystery some years ago and it was discovered that the keg in question had a small pin sized hole in the top end of its product out dip tube which was drawing in extra co2 via a venturi effect into the beerline, ultimately solved with a small length of silicone tube shoved up to cover the hole..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:23 pm

Cheers everyone great advice and ideas as always. Ive been venting it but still getting instant foam. Will have more time tomorrow to explore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk